Apart from adding flavors to your drinks and food, lemons are full of tons of benefits for both health and beauty regimens. Many people are already using lemons as a part of their beauty routines because they are cheap but highly effective. It gives many health benefits, like improving digestion, fighting body odor, balancing pH levels, boosting the immune system, combating infection, controlling hypertension and more. However, your hair and skin love this citrus fruit even more. To know more about lemon beauty benefits for your skin and hair, keep reading this post at Beauty Talk please.
Top 26 Amazing Lemon Beauty Benefits For Your Skin And Hair You Should Know
1. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Reduce Skin Aging
The presence of vitamins in lemon can help postpone the aging process of the skin.
So, one of the best lemon beauty benefits is slowing down skin aging. Particularly, vitamin C housed in lemon is regarded as a potent antioxidant. Vitamin C helps to prevent fine lines and wrinkles from the inside out. The collagen under the skin begins losing elasticity and decreasing in volume overall as we age. This leads to lines and wrinkles. Vitamin C found in lemons can help fight this process. Antioxidants neutralize the free radicals causing skin sagging and wrinkling. Additionally, they are effective in firming your skin up and reducing dark spots.
BeautyTalk Partner Solutions
Ask Any Questions and Get Answers within Minutes, 24/7!
The Medical Experts are available whenever you need them. You can even approve payment only when you’re completely satisfied.
2. Lemon Helps to Rejuvenate Skin
Having a flawless and radiant skin, free of fine lines, dark spots, wrinkles and uneven tone is a common dream of both men and women. Lemon may be one of the top choices for you to help rejuvenate the skin. This fruit also makes the skin look beautiful and young as well. It even fights against free-radical damage. As you know, lemon is high in vitamin C that boosts collagen production. Last but not least, lemon comprises of astringent properties, which help tighten your skin and prevent the premature aging signs like fine lines and wrinkles. Here are two ways to use lemon for rejuvenating skin:
- You take some lemon juice and dilute it with an equal quantity of vitamin E oil or rose water.
- Later apply this mixture on your skin and after 10 minutes, rinse it off by using warm water. Follow this simple remedy several times a week.
- You just need to put some honey on a lemon piece and gently rub it on some areas like face, neck, legs and hands.
- Leave it on for ten minutes and rinse it off using lukewarm water afterwards. Do this one to two times a week.
- Alternatively, you can consume 1 glass of lemon water two times daily to maintain the skin beautiful from within.
3. Lemon Hydrates And Firms The Skin
Folate found in lemon is essential in maintaining your skin cells healthy. You are prone to be exposed to unhealthy skin and cancer as well without enough folate. It is advised to consume lemons as a part of your diet to help maintain the health and firmness of the skin. You should apply lemon juice directly on your skin to obtain the optimum effect.
4. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Treat Acne And Scars
Curing acne and acne scars are also one of the best lemon beauty benefits. A natural astringent named L-ascorbic acid present in lemon helps treat acne quickly. Besides, lemon helps promotes the development of healthy skin tissues and minimizes the appearance of spots and acne scars due to its vitamin C. Moreover, lemon consists of antibacterial properties, which can fight off the bacteria causing acne. Follow these instructions below:
- You need to make a solution with ½ tsp each of rose water and lemon juice. Then, apply it with a cotton ball on the affected skin. Rinse it off by using cool water after 15 minutes. Follow this remedy two times every day.
- Simply, you can consume 1 glass of lemon water every day. This way gives your skin protection from free radical damage and keeps a good pH level as well.
- You need to rub a lemon slice across the affected area. Then, rinse it off with the help of cold water after 5 minutes. It is suggested to repeat twice every day until the acne is disappeared.
5. Lemon Evens Out Your Skin Tone
Lemon juice can make the skin tone more even. For this, you take a cotton piece and soak it in lemon juice. Then, place it on your problem areas, including your elbows and knees. However, for a total body effect, you can add lemon juice (½ cup) to a warm bath. Later soak in it prior to you go to bed at night. You should stay in the water for about 20 minutes to enjoy its best benefits.
6. Lemon Helps to Reduce Stretch Marks
Lemon is a good choice to consider as it comes to curing stretch marks at home. Lemon juice is highly effective for enhancing healthy skin because this fruit is full of vitamin C. In addition, lemon has a mild acidic property that aids the skin in removing dead skin cells and promoting new skin cells. To use lemon for reducing stretch marks, you can do as follow:
- Take equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Then, make a mixture and apply it on your problem areas. Gently massage for five minutes and rinse it off using warm water after ten minutes. Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. This remedy should be followed once daily.
- Rub gently a lemon slice in circular motions on the stretch marks for 5 minutes. Let the juice dry and then use warm water to rinse the juice off. It is recommended to repeat 1 or 2 times every day.
7. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Remove Blackheads
Removing blackheads is regarded as one of the best lemon beauty benefits. Lemons come with anti-fungal and antibacterial properties, which make them a good and natural alternative to minimize blackheads. For this purpose, follow the method below:
- Simply slice open 1 lemon at first and rub it across the face.
- Alternatively, you can add honey (a few drops) to ½ a lemon before directly applying it to the problem area.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes before you rinse it off with the help of cold water.
8. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Treat Sunburn
Lemon juice helps to promote healing and works as a disinfectant to inhibit sun blisters and peeling as well. Skin can be itchy, painful, and become dry as well, all of which can be cured with a mixture of lemon and water. You just need to take an equal amount of lemon juice and water. After this, wash your face using this solution gently. It cools down the burned skin effectively.
9. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Exfoliate Skin
One of the best lemon beauty benefits is exfoliating skin. Particularly, the combined anti-bacterial agents of honey and lemon make this a great exfoliating and cleansing recipe. The method is:
- Prepare lemon juice (1 tablespoon) with yogurt (¼ cup) and honey (1 tablespoon) and then mix them together.
- Mix until you get a uniform paste and later apply this paste on a make-up free and clean skin.
- Keep this mask on for 10 minutes and finally, rinse off with the help of lukewarm water.
10. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Lighten Freckles
A common sun-damaged skin sign is freckles, which is a beauty concern for women and men. Luckily, lemon juice can solve this problem because it consists of skin-lightening and bleaching agents, which can lighten your freckles and make them go away over time. Here are two ways to make use of lemon juice for lightening freckles:
- You can mix the juice of a lemon, a little honey and a tablespoon of beaten yogurt to make a paste. Later apply this paste on your problem areas. Let it dry naturally and rinse it off using cool water. Follow this treatment once every day for quick results.
- You just take some freshly extracted lemon juice and gently massage the trouble skin areas for about five minutes. Wait another ten minutes before you rinse it off with the help of lukewarm water. Follow this way twice regularly.
11. Lemon Helps to Lighten Dark Lips
Dark lips can occur because of application of low-quality cosmetics, overexposure to direct sunlight, and high caffeine intake. Fortunately, lemon juice can help you lighten dark lips. Lemon comes with the natural bleaching property, which can lighten dark lips and restore the natural pink shade of your lips. Remember to be patience and persistence when using this remedy. For lightening dark lips with lemon, follow step by step directions below:
- You prepare ½ tsp of lemon juice, ½ tsp of honey and ½ tsp of glycerin.
- Later mix them well to create a mixture and use it as a lip balm to apply on the lips daily before you go to sleep for a few months.
- Simply, squeeze the juice from one lemon and prior to going to bed; rub it on your lips gently.
- Follow this simple and effective remedy daily for a few months until you see improvement.
12. Lemon Helps to Deal With Chapped Lips
Curing chapped lips is considered as one of the greatest lemon beauty benefits. Chapped lips are a common beauty problem many people face during the winter months. Fortunately, lemon can treat this problem very effectively. Lemon makes the lips beautiful and soft by exfoliating dead skin cells from them. To treat this problem by using lemon, follow two ways below:
- This way is very simple but effective. Take the inner part of 1 lemon slice and gently rub it on your lips.
- Use warm water to rinse it off, pat dry and then apply some coconut oil. For best results, repeat once daily.
- You can also prepare a lip scrub by combining a tsp each of coconut oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice and 2 tsp of granulated sugar.
- Afterwards, apply this homemade scrub on the lips and rub gently in a circular motion. Then, rinse your lips using warm water, pat dry and finally, apply a little coconut oil.
- The remaining scrub can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a few weeks. It is suggested to use this remedy three or four times a week.
13. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Toner For Oily Skin
General speaking, lemon is working for the skin tone efficiently. Lemons consist of the citric acid that helps balance oil production and pH levels. For this purpose, prepare two tbsp of vodka, two tbsp of lemon juice, one tbsp of distilled water, and one tsp of witch hazel. Later mix them well to make a mixture of them and use a cotton ball to apply it on your skin. At last, rinse it off using cool water. Store the remaining mixture in your refrigerator for further use.
14. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Whiten Yellow Teeth
Lemon is a great answer to the query on how to whiten yellow teeth with lemon. Whitening yellow teeth is also one of the awesome lemon beauty benefits. This citrus fruit helps to whiten yellow teeth because it comprises of the bleaching property. Instead of purchasing expensive teeth-whitening products, you can use lemon to whiten yellow teeth and save money as well. How to whiten yellow teeth with the help of lemon? The answer below:
- Simply, you just need to rub a fresh peel of lemon all over your teeth. Then, rinse your mouth using warm water after a few minutes. Do this simple way once daily.
- Or, make a thin paste by mixing ¼ teaspoon of baking soda or salt and enough lemon juice. Apply on the stained teeth with this mixture and rub it around gently.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly using warm water after several minutes. Repeat this remedy one time daily for 1 week.
15. Lemon Helps to Heal Cracked Feet
Cracked feet look unattractive and lead to a lot of discomforts as well. Due to its mild acidic property, lemon helps remove dry and dead skin cells. You can reduce discomfort and have soft feet by using lemon juice. Thus, for looking for the lemon beauty benefits, you should not neglect this advantage. For this remedy, you need to prepare a foot tub that is filled with warm water. Then, add lemon juice (½ cup) to it and soak the feet in it for around 10 to 15 minutes. Use a soft foot brush to gently scrub your feet. Finally, wash, pat dry your feet and apply a little moisturizer on your feet prior to putting on 1 pair of socks. It is advised to repeat twice or thrice a week.
16. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Strengthen Brittle Nails
Dull and brittle nails are often prone to breaking and lemon juice can help to strengthen brittle nails. Lemon helps to promote nail growth because it has the folic acid and vitamin C. Besides, it comes with the bleaching property that helps brighten and whiten your nails. Follow two ways below to strengthen brittle nails with lemon juice:
- Firstly, mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 3 tbsp of olive oil to make a nail-strengthening soak.
- Warm this solution in your microwave afterwards and soak the nails in it for ten minutes.
- Let it dry, later put on a pair of cotton, soft gloves and go to bed. The next morning, use warm water to rinse your hands.
- This remedy should be used daily until you attain the satisfied results.
- Alternatively, soak your nails in the fresh lemon juice for five to ten minutes before going to bed.
- Use warm water to rinse it off, pat dry and coat the nails by using a light layer of coconut or olive oil. Then, wear gloves overnight and repeat this method daily for a couple of weeks.
17. Lemon Naturally Lightens Hair
Lemon is considered as one of your best choices if you are looking for a simple and natural way to change the color of your hair. Lemon juice can deliver marvelous hair lightening effect. For this aim, all you have to do is take 1 spray bottle and later mix freshly extracted lemon juice (1 cup) with slightly warm water (1/4 cup). After that, use this mixture to spray your hair and stay in the sunlight for 60 minutes because this mixture is a photolytic reaction and requires light to take place. After an hour, spray the solution of lemon juice and water again and continue getting your hair exposed to the sunlight for another 30 minutes.
18. Treat Dandruff
One of the amazing lemon beauty benefits for hair is treating dandruff. Lemon juice also helps to curb itchiness on the scalp. Plus, it helps balance your scalp’s PH levels and lowers excess oil secretion, two main contributing factors in dandruff. Moreover, it helps combat scalp infections because it has antibacterial and antifungal action. Here are step by step instructions:
- Firstly, mix the juice of two lemons in a cup of water. Then, rinse your hair with the diluted solution after shampooing.
- Wait for 5 minutes and rinse your hair using plain water. This remedy should be used once or twice per week.
- Alternatively, mix the juice of a lemon in a cup of plain yogurt and later add some olive oil or coconut oil to it. Mix them well and apply it on the slightly wet hair.
- Wear a shower cap for half an hour prior to rinsing it out with the help of lukewarm water. Follow this process once or twice per week.
Note: When using lemon remedies for curing dandruff, you need to avoid exposing to the sun because it can lighten the hair color.
19. Thicken Hair
Lemon juice helps stop the process of hair fall and encourage new hairs to grow, thus contributing towards hair thickening. For this, you mix together lemon juice from 1/2 lemon, one egg yolk, a tsp of honey and a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Then, apply it on your dampened hair and allow it to stay there for half an hour. Finally, rinse your hair.
20. Lemon Beauty Benefits – Condition Dry Hair
One of the best lemon beauty benefits is helping condition dry hair. Lemon acts as a good conditioner for damaged and dry hair. Lemon juice combined with olive oil (3/4 cup) and raw honey (½ cup) will help keep the hair damage-free. Apply on the hair with the mixture and use a plastic wrap to cover for half an hour. Finally, rinse off after 30 minutes and clean your hair with a mild shampoo.
21. Scalp Exfoliation
If you desire to exfoliate the skin and remove any dead cells or any mask residue or any buildup of the hair products, then you can lemon juice. Lemon juice comes with natural exfoliating agents. For making a scrub for scalp exfoliation, all you need to do is mix white vinegar and lemon juice in equal quantities to make a uniform mixture. Then, massage on the scalp for about 10 minutes for cleansing your scalp gently.
22. Straighten Hair Naturally
Straightening hair is also one of the top lemon beauty benefits. For this purpose, prepare about ¼ cup of lemon juice (without pulp and seeds) and 1 cup of coconut oil and homogeneously unite those ingredients and refrigerate for about 60 minutes to obtain a thick paste. Then, apply the paste on the hair and wait for about 15 minutes. Afterwards, use plain cold water to wash your hair and straighten them with the help of wide tooth comb. Follow this process weekly to get perfect hairstyles and to get the wanted sleekness in hair.
23. Treat Itchy Scalp
Treating itchy scalp is also one of the most lemon beauty benefits. This problem is extremely irritating and leads to bringing timidity in personality because of the psychological effect. Luckily, lemon juice can help you treat itchy scalp. Simply, you only need to mix lemon juice (few drops) in your conditioner or shampoo. Massage your hair for a few minutes with the mixture and at last, wash off using cold water. This simple way will soothe your itchy scalp after a few uses.
24. Promote Hair Growth
General speaking, most of the women want their hair to be thick and long. Fortunately, lemon juice will help enhance hair growth effectively due to its vitamin C. For this, combine lemon juice with equal amounts of coconut oil or olive oil. Then, apply this homemade hair mask on your hair. You will see the changes after a few weeks.
25. Treat Oily Scalp
Generally, people with oil scalp have active sebaceous glands secreting oily liquid known as sebum. Applying lemon juice on hair is one of the best remedies for oily scalp. This will help absorb the excess oil and at the same time won’t adversely affect the sebaceous glands. Just apply lemon juice on your hair or soak your hair in it. This will help clean the hair from deposited products as well as dust.
26. Lemon Helps to Treat Split Ends
Split ends make your hair look severely unpleasing and damaged. Lemon juice is a wonderful remedy to treat split ends. Remember to trim your split ends after or before the treatment because there has no other remedy with already existing split ends excluding chopping them off. For this treatment, mix lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil in equal quantities. Later apply this mixture about one time a month to prevent the trouble that causes split ends.
To see more our helpful articles, please go to our main Foods For Beauty page. If you know any lemon beauty benefits for your skin and hair, please share with our readers and us.