Green tea is such a familiar beverage that originated from China as early as 1500 years ago. Due to its beneficial properties for health, it has been used by ancient Chinese and Indian not only as a beverage but also as treatments to illness and to heal wounds. It is a common ingredient in many beauty care products. It is also effective at dealing with many skin problems. Nowadays, people also use it to aid their weight loss journeys. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of green tea and how to use it to help you shed some extra pounds. But first, we need to know what green tea exactly is.
Tea is produced by steeping tea leaves in hot water, but it's the different plant species and how they are processed that creates green tea or black tea. Green tea leaves are picked out of the Camellia sinensis plant. After that, they go through a heating and drying process that minimizes the oxidation, preserving their fresh flavour. On the opposite, black tea is made from tea leaves that are left to oxidize completely. Compared to black teas and Oolong teas, green tea has different properties and benefits that are more suitable for reducing weight.
There is no science-based evidence for the following homemade recipes. The recipes we've focused on are traditional home remedies, so always consult your doctor and check out your health condition regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
- Top 22 benefits of green tea for skin, hair, and health
- Top 20 natural herbs for promoting weight loss
- Top 18 cheap healthy foods for weight loss
- Best Fat-Melting Teas For Weight Loss (This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Rachelle Caves, RDN, CNSC, CPT)
The Best Way To Use Green Tea For Weight Loss: Benefits, Uses, And Precautions
I. Why You Should Choose Green Tea for Weight Loss
1. Low In Calories
When dieting to lose weight, of course, to some extent, you should monitor your calorie intake. Drinking water is the best for not gaining calorie count. Ultimately, there will be times when you want some extra flavour in your drink. Then, green tea is the perfect alternative to any other beverage. In a cup of tea (245g), there are only 2,5 calories, which is almost zero and zero fat.
2. Rich In Antioxidants
Keeping calorie input low is not all when it comes to weight loss. You should also use green tea because it is packed with antioxidants. According to a study, drinking one cup of green tea helps to increase the number of antioxidants in the bloodstream.
Green tea contains very high concentrations of catechins, which are antioxidants that accelerate the metabolism and break down body fat. Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), the main type of catechins in green tea, may aid with the fat breaking-down process by inhibiting enzymes that destroy a fat-burning hormone called norepinephrine (noradrenaline). Because of the catechins, regular green tea consumption may significantly decrease body weight and maintain it after losing weight. Additionally, research has shown that the regular consumption of green tea may also reduce waist circumference. Catechins content in green tea is higher than other contestant teas such as black tea and Oolong, which makes it ideal for losing some pounds.
3. Contain Caffeine
Another important component of green tea that helps with weight loss is caffeine. According to some studies, caffeine may stimulate the fat-burning process . Although the caffeine content of green tea is twice lower than that of coffee, persistent consumption of a combination of caffeine and catechins in green tea can better increase the amount of energy the body uses, and effectively lessen bodyweight.
4. Boost Fat-Burning While Exercising
A group of researchers concluded in their findings that green tea extract (GTE) “ingestion can increase fat oxidation during moderate-intensity exercise.” In the study, men after taking the GTE supplement have approximately 17% higher fat oxidation rates than those that took the placebo. This might be the reason why green tea extract is a notorious ingredient in weight-loss supplements. Several studies show that EGCG stimulates the burning of fat, which may result in reduced body fat .
II. How To Use Green Tea For Weight Loss
Lemon Ginger Tea Recipe
Ginger also has lots of antioxidants that eliminate free radicals. These free radicals cause damage to your body, which contributes to oxidative stress – a symptom people with obesity are very susceptible to.
Things you need
- 2 bags of green tea or 1 tablespoon powdered tea or 2 teaspoons of loose leaf tea
- ½ teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cups of water
How to do
- Mince ginger into thin strips with length a bit shorter than your knuckle
- Bring water to a boil
- Add the honey and stir well
- Let it cool down for 2 minutes
- Add water to the tea leaves and minced ginger and leave it for 2 to 3 minutes
- Stir your tea mixture well and then strain the tea
- Best if it is served hot
- Drink every day, once a day
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed in this article, you should not consume any of it.
- Consult with your doctor before trying this recipe consistently if you have any illness or disease.
- To lose weight successfully, do not add creams, sweetened milk, or condensed milk to the recipe. If you must, add a minimal amount of them. It is best if you practice not to depend on sweeteners at all.
- Keep in mind that green tea alone cannot make you lose weight dramatically. It can only help if you also follow a well-planned diet and exercise regularly.
Now that you know all the goodies, go make yourself a cup of green tea, following our recipe. Before you do, please leave in the comment box below your thoughts and suggestions on other benefits and uses of green tea for weight loss. Losing weight is easier if you know more about other weight loss recipes. Visit our main Food For Beauty page to find out more.
All content provided are for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.