Roman chamomile or Chamaemelum nobile is a low perennial plant, which is cultivated in North America, Europe, and in Argentina. Since the Middle Ages, it’s been known as a medicinal plant. The ancient Egyptians regarded Roman chamomile as closely dedicated to the moon and the sun, and they believed it treated fevers owing to its cooling properties.
Roman Chamomile was said to help calm nervous complaints. The plant and its essential oils were added or mixed to ancient cosmetics, herbal teas, shampoos, and perfumes. Today, Roman chamomile essential oil is known to provide people with a wealth of benefits. It is one of the excellent natural remedies for health and beauty issues. In this post, we discuss Roman chamomile essential oil benefits and uses.
Top 7 Roman Chamomile Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
I. Roman Chamomile Essential Oil Benefits
1. Reduce Symptoms Of Insomnia
Roman chamomile' relaxing properties help to promote healthy sleep and combat insomnia. According to a study done in 2006, the aroma of Roman chamomile essential oil influenced cognition and mood in healthy volunteers. Another study shows that chamomile extract has benzodiazepine-like hypnotic activity.
BeautyTalk Partner Solutions
Ask Any Questions and Get Answers within Minutes, 24/7!
The Medical Experts are available whenever you need them. You can even approve payment only when you’re completely satisfied.
2. Support Digestive Health
Chamomile may be useful for dealing with numerous gastrointestinal issues, including digestive disorders . Besides, roman chamomile essential oil can be used to fight digestive issues, such as leaky gut, gas, acid reflux, indigestion, vomiting, and diarrhea. Along with that, it helps to dispel gas, relax the muscles, and soothe the stomach so food can move through your intestines with ease. Moreover, Roman chamomile possesses relaxing properties and can be used topically and internally to eliminate nausea.
3. Alleviate Anxiety And Depression
Roman chamomile essential oil may calm nerves and decrease anxiety by enhancing relaxation since it works as a mild sedative. Inhaling Roman chamomile is an excellent way to use essential oils for anxiety. According to research, Roman chamomile has been used to get rid of symptoms of depression and anxiety in many regions around the world; such as: southern Italy, Brazil, Sardinia, and Morocco. Another study indicates that an aromatherapy blend using essential oils, including lavender, neroli, and Roman chamomile may reduce anxiety levels and improve the sleep quality of patients with heart disease.
4. Decrease PMS Symptoms
Roman chamomile essential oil helps to combat feelings of depression because it functions as a natural mood booster. Roman Chamomile also has antispasmodic properties that can soothe body aches and menstrual cramps commonly related to PMS. Moreover, it is an ideal remedy for PMS symptoms due to its relaxant properties. It can also help remove acne caused by hormone fluctuations.
5. Promote Heart Health
Roman chamomile is rich in flavonoids which provide cardiovascular protection. When taken internally, it has been shown to decrease mortality from coronary heart disease significantly. Roman chamomile essential oil may have a relaxing impact on the heart and reduce blood pressure thanks to its flavonoids.
6. Boost Skin Health
Owing to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, Roman chamomile can help to facilitate smooth, healthy skin and eliminate irritations. More importantly, it works as a natural remedy for wounds, eczema, ulcers, skin irritations, gout, bruises, canker sores, burns, and even skin conditions such as chickenpox, cracked nipples, ear and eye infections, diaper rash, and poison ivy.
7. Gentle Enough For Children
Mothers have used chamomile for centuries to calm crying children, eliminate earaches, reduce fevers, and soothe upset stomachs. It can also help children with ADHD or ADD. It is a gentle essential oil that makes it great for children and infants. According to a study, chamomile can be used safely as a natural colic remedy and to combat upset stomachs on children.
II. How To Use Roman Chamomile Essential Oil?
You can easily find Roman chamomile essential oil in health stores and online. This oil can be diffused, taken internally, and applied to the skin topically. Below are a few easy ways to use it:
- To improve leaky gut and digestion, apply 2 to 4 drops topically to your abdomen. Roman chamomile oil can be used in low amounts for children with diarrhea and colic when diluted with a carrier oil such as coconut oil
- To get rid of acne, combat the signs of aging, and treat various skin conditions, take a clean cotton ball and add 2 to 3 drops to it. Apply to the affected areas. If your skin is sensitive, dilute chamomile with any carrier oil before you apply it topically.
- To fight depression and anxiety, diffuse five drops, or inhale the oil directly from the bottle.
- To improve your sleep, inhale the oil directly from the bottle or rub 1 to 2 drops onto your temples.
- To promote heart health, take internally by placing 2 to 4 drops under your tongue or apply it topically over your heart.
- To soothe nausea, inhale Roman chamomile oil directly from the bottle, or mix it with ginger, lavender or peppermint oil and diffuse. Also, it can be used topically on the temples to deal with nausea.
- To help calm children, diffuse Roman chamomile essential oil at home or dilute around two drops with coconut oil and then apply the mixture topically to the affected area.
- To promote youthful-looking hair and skin, add 1 to 2 drops to your favorite shampoo, moisturizer, or conditioner.
- When using any essential oil internally, always use very high-quality oil brands, made by a trustworthy and reputable companies.
- Pregnant women need to avoid taking it orally as it can lead to miscarriage and uterine contractions.
III. Is Roman Chamomile Essential Oil Safe?
This oil is considered non-irritant and non-toxic, and can be safely inhaled, diffused or used topically. However, we do recommend blending Roman chamomile oil with a safe carrier oil before using it. Before using it liberally, conduct a skin patch test. Apply a tiny amount to your arm and watch if any allergic reaction happens. This oil is said to contain emmenagogue properties which promote blood flow, particularly when used in high amounts, which is why nursing moms and pregnant women should avoid using it.
IV. Side Effects Of Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
Using Roman chamomile oil or plant may result in an allergic reaction in those who are sensitive to plants from the Compositae or Asteraceae family, such as chrysanthemums, ragweed, marigolds, and daisies. We recommend completely staying away from Roman chamomile essential oil if you have any sensitivity to these plants.
Surprising, isn’t it? How can a natural ingredient have such significant effects on your overall health? Start using Roman chamomile essential oil and lead a healthy, happy, and beautiful life! For such articles, please visit our main Foods For Beauty page. Do you know any other Roman chamomile oil benefits? Do let us know in the comments box below. All of the contents provided in this article are for informational and educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.