Garlic is a common ingredient appearing in every kitchen. Even if you love or hate it, we can deny that it adds more flavor to meals. Moreover, according to many studies, garlic not only makes the meals become more delicious but also has the benefits on your health, hair, and skin. What are these beauty and health garlic benefits for women? Let’s keep reading this article on the Beauty Talk o know how garlic cares for your beauty and health.
- Top 11 beauty benefits of buttermilk (This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Heather M. Duquette-Wolf, RD, CSSD)
- Benefits and uses of garlic for weight loss
Top 14 Health And Beauty Benefits Of Garlic For Women
I. What Is Garlic?
Garlic, known as the science name Allium sativum, has close relatives with the onion, shallot, leek. Garlic came from Central Asia and northeastern Iran and was first grown by the Ancient Egyptians. It has existed for over 5000 years, which makes it become one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world. Nowadays, it is used widely because of its benefits.
II. Nutritional Value
We maybe just know that using garlic is necessary but do not know exactly the nutritional values of this ingredient. The information below can surprise you: Garlic contains a large amount of manganese, selenium, and vitamin C. Also, garlic provides other minerals such as phosphorus, calcium, potassium, iron, and copper. For example, a clove of raw garlic has 4 calories, 1 gram carbohydrates, 0.2 gram protein, 0.1 gram fiber, 0.1 milligram manganese, 0.9 milligram vitamin C, 5.4 milligrams calcium, and 0.4 micrograms selenium.
III. Benefits And Uses
A. On Health
1. Combat Sickness
People have used garlic to treat illness for thousands of years. According to many experiments, garlic is useful to kill microorganisms, which can cause the common cold and other infections. Garlic has a cold-fighting compound called allicin, which acts like antibacterial and antifungal properties. A study was conducted for 12 weeks during the cold weather. The people who took either garlic supplements were less likely to get a cold, or if they got, they were easier to get through than the people who used a placebo. Therefore, if you usually get sick, cold or flu, garlic can help you reduce the symptoms and prevent it.
BeautyTalk Partner Solutions
Ask Any Questions and Get Answers within Minutes, 24/7!
The Medical Experts are available whenever you need them. You can even approve payment only when you’re completely satisfied.
2. Control High Blood Pressure
Nowadays, high blood pressure is a common issue. In the United States, among 3 adults, there is one having this problem. Garlic is a way to control the blood pressure because it can stimulate the production of nitric oxide, which is helpful to widen the blood vessels. According to a study published in the scientific journal Maturitas, when the 50 people with “uncontrollable” blood pressure used four capsules of aged garlic extract (960 milligrams) every day for three months, the blood pressure was decreased by an average of 10 points. Another study published in 2014 showed that the polysulfides in garlic stimulate the blood vessels’ opening or widening, which can reduce the blood pressure.
3. Prevent The Heart Disease
Thanks to the allicin, garlic can lower cholesterol levels, so garlic is a way to prevent the problems related to heart such as atherosclerosis, hyperlipidemia, and thrombosis. According to a 2016 study published in the Journal of Nutrition, aged garlic extract could reduce the plaque in coronary arteries for patients who had metabolic syndrome. Matthew J. Budoff, M.D., one of the lead researchers, reported that aged garlic extract effectively makes the progression of atherosclerosis slower, which is very helpful for heart disease. Therefore, do not forget to use garlic regularly to gain its benefits.
4. Prevent The Cancer
The antibacterial properties housed in garlic can help to prevent cancer and the formation of carcinogenic substances in the body. Consuming one fresh clove of garlic daily can help you reduce your risk of breast, esophageal, stomach, bowel, and prostate cancer. For example, a French study was conducted with 345 breast cancer patients. The result is that consuming more garlic, onion, and fiber will lower the risk of breast. Moreover, according to a study in the San Francisco Bay area, people who ate more garlic and onions would reduce the 54% of pancreatic cancer risk. Other studies also found out that the stomach and colorectal cancers can be prevented by the daily consumption of garlic. To sum up, remember to use garlic daily to strengthen your health.
5. Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease And Dementia
As we know, Alzheimer’s is a dangerous disease that can rob people’s memories of their family, relatives, and daily activities. For Alzheimer’s patients, β-amyloid peptide plaques, which are in the central nervous system, causes the production of reactive oxygen species and neuronal damage. Oxidative damage from free radicals causes the aging process. Garlic contains antioxidants, which can protect the body against oxidative damage and the related illness. The researchers pointed out that future drugs can be developed from the aged garlic extract with SAC to treat Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Make The Bones Stronger
In garlic, there are minerals such as calcium, magnesium, manganese, and phosphorus, which not only strengthen the bones but also improve their elasticity. Garlic also contains the antioxidants that combat free radicals, thus protecting the bones from the oxidative damage. Besides, garlic plays an important role in increasing the estrogen level of women. Therefore, the risk of development of osteoarthritis can reduce.
7. Keep The Eyes Healthy
The antioxidants in garlic fight the free radicals, so the garlic can protect the body from oxidative damage. When the eyes are prevented from oxidative damage, the risk of age-related macular degeneration, cataract, and glaucoma will reduce. Moreover, the presence of vitamin C and other nutrients like selenium, quercetin in garlic act as the anti-inflammatory that lower infection and swelling on eyes.
B. On Skin
8. Reduce Acne
Acne is an annoying problem that millions of people in the world have to suffer from it. Acne not only does harm on your skin but also affects your appearance. By using garlic, a simple ingredient, you can treat this issue easily. Allicin present in garlic can kill the bacteria causing acne. Furthermore, it is beneficial for decreasing the swelling and inflammation thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties, and improving blood circulation. Garlic also has thiosulfinates, which can work as an antimicrobial. Moreover, other vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin B-6, selenium, copper, and zinc, can fight against acne.
9. Remove Blackhead And Whitehead
Garlic can make the blackhead and whitehead smaller and faded because it contains potent compounds. Moreover, you will not worry about the scars and the infected pores because garlic can prevent your skin from these problems.
10. Keep The Youth
All of us are afraid of getting older. Therefore, we find ways to be younger and taking care of skin is one of them. You can use garlic to improve the skin’s condition. Garlic contains the antioxidants and antioxidant compounds, which prevent the skin cells from oxidative damage. Consequently, not only the risk of development of skin cancer but also the fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and dark spots will reduce. Garlic also has a large amount of sulfur that promotes the production of collagen, which is important for the skin to reduce wrinkles. Moreover, vitamins and minerals in garlic nourish the skin and make the skin healthier.
C. On Hair
11. Promote New Hair
Besides having vital nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients, polyphenols, garlic contains copper, an effective mineral for hair growth because it removes the harmful substances. Copper also makes hair follicles stronger, and blood flow to the hair follicles work better.
12. Reduce Hair Loss
Garlic is an amazing treatment for hair loss due to the presence of allicin, . It nourishes the scalp, improves blood circulation in the scalp, and treats hair loss. On the other hand, garlic has antioxidants, which fight the free radicals, thus protects the cells (including the hair follicles and scalp) from oxidative damage. Therefore, you will be less likely to have hair loss.
13. Prevent Gray Hair At Early Age
By preventing the cells from oxidative damage thanks to its antioxidants, garlic is beneficial for reducing the risk of premature graying of hair. Moreover, garlic makes your hair soft, supple, and lustrous.
14. Treat Dandruff
As we know, dandruff affects a lot of people all over the world. In spite of doing many things like using the shampoo has anti-dandruff compounds, the majority of people claim that dandruff is like a boomerang. Therefore, nowadays, people tend to use natural ingredients to have better result and garlic is one of them. Garlic can treat dandruff because of its antibacterial and antifungal properties. Apart from that, sulfur in garlic prevents infection of the scalp and lowers the risk of the severity of dandruff.
IV. Myths And Facts
Garlic is just a small and common ingredient, but it has many interesting facts around it.
– Garlic is one of the oldest cultivated crops. Its origin is central Asia, and it is used all over the world. China produces the most garlic. A 2012 study shows that China grows a two-thirds of the world’s garlic, with 46 billion pounds per year.
– There are over 450 varieties of garlic.
– Garlic can be very high (up to 120 centimeters) (4 feet).
– Garlic has from 7 to 15 cloves.
– Garlic belongs to the Lily family, with onions, leeks and shallots.
– Alliumphobia is the psychological term to describe the people who fear garlic.
– The ancient Greece brides carried bouquets of herbs and garlic, not flowers.
– Garlic has 17 amino acids which are important to the body’s function.
– Be careful when letting cats and dogs use garlic because garlic and onions are toxic to cats and dogs.
– It is said that garlic can fight off evil spirits and keep vampires away.
1. Side Effects
Although garlic is natural and safe for most people, it still has some side effects you should know:
– Bad odor: The sulfur compound in garlic makes you have an unpleasant odor in your mouth.
– Bad for liver: Using too much garlic can lead to liver toxicity.
– Do not consume garlic while the stomach has nothing because garlic can cause diarrhea.
– According to a study published by the National Cancer Institute, consuming fresh garlic bulbs, or extracts or the oil while the stomach is empty can cause nausea, vomiting, and heartburn. Another one published by the Harvard Medical School shows us that garlic can be one of the reasons for GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
– As stated by a report published by the University of Maryland Medical Center, garlic can increase the risk of internal bleeding when being used too much.
– Garlic is helpful for people with high blood pressure. However, using garlic is unnecessary if you take medications for high blood pressure because, at that time, garlic can lower your blood pressure too much.
– Contacting with garlic might cause skin irritations such as eczema.
– Consuming too much garlic can cause hyphema.
– Garlic, especially its raw form, can trigger migraines.
– Pregnant women or lactating mothers should be careful when using garlic because it can cause labor.
The dosage is up to the age, the condition, and the purpose. You can use garlic under many forms such as fresh raw garlic, dried garlic powder, garlic oil or garlic extract. To know exactly the dosage you should use, please ask the doctor for advice.
– Many studies show that the best time to use garlic is in the morning with an empty stomach. Although there are some opposite opinions about eating garlic while the stomach is empty, we cannot deny the benefits of doing this. Garlic on an empty stomach can work as an antibiotic, control hypertension, detoxify the body, etc. However, you should not do it if you have problems related to stomach or digestion.
– You should avoid a large amount of garlic before going to bed. Garlic has the veggie’s hot and spicy properties, which intensify salivary flow and gastric juice secretion so that it can make your stomach uncomfortable.
Garlic with other ingredients is likely safe and good for your health, especially garlic with honey. This combination is beneficial for nourishing your skin, treat the common cold, making the immunity stronger, maintaining your cholesterol levels, so it can reduce the risk of heart attack and much more.
5. For Who/ Not For Who
– Garlic is a natural ingredient, so it is safe for anyone. However, some people must think twice when using it: people who have digestion or stomach problems, pregnant women, lactating mothers, people who are allergic to garlic. If these people still want to use garlic, it is essential to ask the doctor.
– Remember that dogs and cats can be poisoned because of garlic.
VI. Where/How To Buy/Store
It is easy to buy garlic. You can find it in the supermarket or the market. Garlic appears everywhere with different types and different forms that you can choose.
We hope that after reading this post, you can understand more about the best beauty and health garlic benefits for women. Although garlic is almost safe for people because it is natural, make sure that you will test it before using because it can cause allergic problems for you or make your problems become more serious. All content provided is for informational and educational purposes. We recommend you consult your doctor before using garlic for any purpose.
We are very welcome all your questions or comments in the comment box. If you want to know more about the benefits of other food, please visit the Food For Beauty page.