If you want to reduce weight, you know that the only way to make sure a healthy progress & lasting success is to change how you eat and increase your daily activity level. Nevertheless, there are a lot of herbs that may help to lose weight well, whether by helping you suppress cravings or by accelerating your fat-burning metabolism. Today, Beauty Talk will provide you with top 20 natural herbs for weight loss that work. You should have a look at this article to discover more about these ways because they are really useful for you when you want to lose some pounds by using natural and safe herbs.
Top 20 Natural Herbs For Weight Loss That Work Fast
1. Bottle Gourd Juice
Bottle gourd is an old-world hard-shelled fruit that anecdotal evidence suggests may use as one of the natural herbs for weight loss that work. Thanks to the high fiber content present in it, it can create a sensation of long fullness and suppress appetite. In addition, it is also high in water content and contains a lot of excellent nutrients. If you decide to drink the juice of bottle gourd, do not use it in order to starve yourself. Instead, you should eat good foods and nutrients that your body needs to maintain its function. However, it is still an excellent way to help you to resist cravings and snacking sprees.
- Chilled bottle gourd juice – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Firstly, add lemon juice to the cup of chilled bottle gourd juice and mix them together.
- Whenever you want to snack, drink this juice.
2. Natural Herbs For Weight Loss – Cayenne Pepper
Capsaicin, a compound in cayenne pepper gives it the heat, may help to fight obesity by reducing calorie intake, lessening fat tissue, and decreasing blood fat levels and also fight the buildup of fat by triggering the changes of beneficial protein in the body.
Cayenne pepper is considered as one of the natural herbs for weight loss thanks to the heat potential of capsaicin. It is a thermogenic compound that can temporarily raise thermogenesis in the body, where the body burns off fuel like fat to create heat, containing beneficial effects on fat storage and metabolism. According to research, consuming thermogenic ingredients can boost up the metabolism by 5%, and increase burned fat by 16%. It may even aid in counteracting the reduction of metabolic rate that usually occurs when losing weight.
In fact, adding the herb to food may help you to burn off 100 calories a meal, according to RD. Lauren Minchen.
- Prepare cayenne pepper tea by adding 1/10 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to a glass of boiling water. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon and add it to this. Have this tea regularly for at least 1 month.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of maple syrup and lemon juice in 10 ounces of clean water. Then, add a small dash of cayenne pepper to it and drink it after stirring them well.
3. Green Tea
Consuming green tea helps you to burn fat & keep your body in good shape.
Green tea is packed with antioxidants and contains thermo-genic properties. Also like cayenne pepper, thermogenesis helps a lot in weight loss by producing heat in the body. It increases the consumption of fat oxidation and energy so you burn off your body fat more quickly.
In addition, green tea also aids in making you feel full so that you do not consume more than you need. Apart from this, green tea contains Epigallocatechin gallate that can reduce the amount of fat the body absorbs when you consume your food. This will not only be helpful in losing weight but also in decreasing your cholesterol level.
- Prepare your green tea by adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of green tea to a cup. Then, pour boiling water over it and allow it to brew for about 2 to 5 minutes. Now, strain and drink this green tea.
- Drink green tea instead of coffee or regular tea in the morning. It contains enough caffeine to start a day. Also, this also speeds up your metabolism so that you can burn more calories during the day.
- You should drink at least 4 to 5 cups of this tea during the day. This helps you in feeling full and you will concentrate less on binge eating. Drinking 1 cup of green tea after or before meals is an ideal choice.
4. Get The Body In Share With Ginseng
Ginseng has widely been used in Chinese medicine as a great traditional medicine for stamina, overall health, and energy. According to modern studies, ginseng is very effective for losing weight as well as controlling diabetes. In addition, ginseng is the ability to make the body cells less capable of storing fat. Ginseng may assist you in losing weight in two ways. Firstly, it will boost up your metabolism when you eat, so you'll store less fat compared to when you do not take ginseng. Secondly, it will give you full of energy so that you can remain more active and spend more calories.
Besides, the greatest quality of ginseng is that it may help you to fight fatigue and boost up energy and mental alertness. This is a huge factor when it comes to losing weight without energy. Without exercise, it is nearly impossible to lose weight. Apart from boosting up energy, it can also help to manage your blood sugar, which affects to energy levels and appetite.
- Dried ginseng root – 4 tablespoons
- Honey (optional) – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Water – 4 cups
- Cinnamon (optional) – 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon
- At first, add the water to a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Then, add ginseng root to this pan and allow it to simmer for about 60 minutes.
- After that, remove it from the heat and then strain.
- Now, add honey and cinnamon to it.
- Finally, drink 1 cup of this tea.
- You should have this tea for 2 times per day, once in the early morning and once after lunch.
5. Lemon Juice And Black Pepper
This concoction having lemon juice and black pepper can help you in losing weight effectively. Black pepper has a natural chemical compound called piperine that is in charge of giving it the pungent flavor. According to a few new studies, piperine may interfere with the genes controlling the production of fat cells, reducing fat levels in your bloodstream, and increasing the absorption of essential nutrients from the foods. Besides, lemon juice can aid in a proper digestion and in breaking down the foods. Therefore, don't skip this method if you are looking for natural herbs for weight loss that work.
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A lemon
- Fresh water
- Firstly, squeeze the juice from this lemon.
- Then, mix lemon juice with clean water and sprinkle black pepper on it.
- Finally, drink this water for once per day after a meal.
6. Natural Herbs For Weight Loss – Guggul Herb Extract
Guggul is considered as an age-old way recommended by Ayurveda for natural herbs for weight loss as well as various health conditions. And according to modern studies, researchers confirmed the effect of this herb in losing weight. The effect of weight loss of guggul is due to its activity on your thyroid gland. In fact, thyroid hormones are very necessary for the exact metabolic rate that decides how much calories you burn per day. Because guggul stimulates the function of the thyroid, your metabolic rate will be at the optimum level and losing weight will become easier and quicker. The added benefits of guggul are to give you a good mood and to lower cholesterol levels. And because it does not stimulate the central nervous system, this herb is very safe for weight loss.
- Guggul extract is available in the tablet form in many health stores, especially in Ayurveda herbal medicines stores. You should take about 75 milligrams of this extract divided into three doses. This means that you ought to take 25 milligrams per dose. Sometimes 100 milligrams may also be taken but it is better to consult your doctor before taking guggul supplement.
- If you take guggul gum, keep 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) of this resin under the tongue or inside the mouth so that it can dissolve there. Do it for 4 times per day.
Because dandelions help to slow down your digestion, they may make you feel full for a longer time, helping you to keep a healthy weight. Dandelions contain antioxidant properties and have bitter crystalline compounds called Taracerin and Taraxacin, along with levulin and inulin. These compounds explain some of their therapeutic properties. In addition to being high in dietary fiber, dandelions also have beta-carotene, vitamins, minerals, and vitamin K1, and are famous for being beneficial for balancing cholesterol and blood sugar as well as cleansing the liver.
Besides, dandelion is known as a mild laxative, diuretic, and digestive aid that increases fat metabolism and aids in reducing cholesterol. It also increases the removal of fatty acids through your digestive system while having many of the essential minerals and vitamins depleted by using diuretics, reducing the risk of imbalances. However, remember that using it in the long term may still cause electrolyte depletion, as any kind of diuretic.
Here are a few ways of using dandelion as one of the natural herbs for weight loss:
- Have the dandelion tea for 3 to 4 times per day.
- Include fresh dandelion greens in salads or soups.
- Have dandelion tincture of about 15 to 30 drops per day.
8. Hibiscus Tea
The beautiful Hibiscus flowers are packed with various nutrients, minerals, and flavonoids. The amylase inhibitors found in this herb help to lower the absorption of carbohydrates and fats. The carbohydrates and fats in the body are broken by hibiscus flowers so that they may be flushed out of the body.
In addition, hibiscus flowers also contain mild diuretic properties, which help you to shed weight due to water retention and reduce the bloating. Your body is added benefit of strengthened immunity because of the antioxidants present in hibiscus.
Both hot and cold hibiscus tea are regarded natural herbs for weight loss that work.
- 1 cup of dry hibiscus flowers
- 8 cups of water
- Honey (optional)
- At first, take fresh hibiscus flowers and then separate the petals before placing them on a paper.
- Then, leave them for a few days to dry naturally.
- After that, soak 1 cup of dried petals in water for about 1 to 2 days.
- Now, strain and store them in the refrigerator. You can use this cold tea for about 5 days.
- Whenever you want to have this hibiscus tea, take 1 cup of this tea and add honey to it.
- If you want to drink hot tea, heat the cold hibiscus tea by placing it on the stove or in a microwave.
Precaution: If you are taking some medication or a nursing or pregnant woman, consult your doctor before drinking this hibiscus tea.
According to animal studies, ginger, when used along with other therapies, can become one of the natural herbs for weight loss and obesity. According to a 2014 research published in the Journal of the SFA (Science & Food of Agriculture), the effect of gingerol, a key component in ginger is very effective in reducing weight in some obese rats after 1 month.
Another study carried out on rats & published in an issue of the European Review for Medical & Pharmacological Sciences in 2013 compared the effect of a ginger supplement & Orlistat, a medication that can promote weight loss. After 4 weeks, the ginger & Orlistat had a similarly significant effect on the reduction in weight. Also, the ginger improved the good cholesterol level in the blood of rats.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory effects and is known to aid in soothing and relaxing your intestinal tract. According to research, ginger has thermogenic properties that assist you in boosting up your metabolism and has an appetite-suppressant property when consumed, suggesting an important role of ginger in losing weight.
Drink ginger tea for 2 to 3 times per day to help to increase digestion.
- Chew on a mall slice of fresh ginger root about several minutes before each meal. Or, mix a little of grated ginger root with salt and lemon juice. Eat 2 pinches of this mixture before each meal. Apart from enhancing digestion, consuming this before each meal may reduce appetite.
- Add ginger to your foods as often as possible.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of the guggul with ginger & honey to taste. Take this mixture for 2 to 3 times per day to stimulate weight loss.
Another herb in the list of top natural herbs for weight loss that work is grapefruit. According to a research carried out in Canada, grapefruit contains a fat burning molecule. A flavonoid present in grapefruit is called Naringenin that balances your blood sugar levels in the body and helps to prevent metabolic syndrome, making you look fat. This may also cause you to get diabetes.
Another study conducted in Ontario said that this fruit makes the liver burn the excessive fat rather than storing it. Therefore, when you add grapefruit to your diet, it not only helps you to prevent diabetes but also loses weight.
- Drink 1 glass of grapefruit juice in the early morning to boost up the fat burning capacity of your liver.
- If you are feeling desperate for weight loss, drink grapefruit juice before each meal.
Precaution: If you are taking medication, consult a doctor before having grapefruit.
11. Cardamom For Weight Loss Fast
Cardamom can also be used as one of the natural herbs for weight loss because it works as a digestive aid. In addition, it also contains antispasmodic properties that help to promote good metabolism. Thanks to its detoxifying properties, cardamom is also used as a good herbal method for bladder disorders, urinary tract disorder, and disorders of the kidney.
Besides, cardamom is a thermogenic herb that aids in boosting up your metabolism and boosts up the ability of your body to burn fat.
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger root
- 3 cups of purified water
- Firstly, add ground ginger and cardamom seeds to a thermos and bring it to a boil
- After that, leave it overnight.
- Now, tea is ready for using in the morning.
- You should dilute it with a little warm water and drink it 15 minutes before your meals.
12. Kelp Seaweed
Kelp seaweed is widely used by Japanese women in their daily diet. They are certainly slimmer people. And what makes kelp seaweed one of the natural herbs for weight loss. There will be at least 2 reasons for this. Firstly, kelp seaweed is very rich in iodine. Iodine keeps your thyroid gland stimulated well so that the metabolism does not go sluggish. An increased metabolism means that your body uses the calories better and faster. Secondly, kelp seaweed has a compound called alginate. According to a research carried out at the Newcastle University, alginate can reduce the amount of fat that your body absorbs as you eat. During the trial, many scientists used this kelp seaweed in bread and then concluded that just a small amount of this reduced fat intake by one-third.
Although kelp supplements are available, it is better for you to have raw and unprocessed seaweed. Add kelp to your diet in a lot of ways.
- Use dried kelp seaweed powder as a seasoning for your foods.
- Make the salad by chopping fresh kelp seaweed and then mixing it with some other ingredients such as onion, cucumber, etc. Remember to choose your salad dressing, preferably low-calorie dressing.
- Include kelp seaweed in your soups to provide it with texture and salty taste.
- You may even use kelp seaweed to make your bread.
Note: While kelp seaweed is good for the overall health and thyroid, excessive consumption of this can make the thyroid overactive resulting in various health problems. Also, people with kidney problems should consult a doctor before adding kelp to the diet. Pregnant and nursing women should take kelp seaweed under medical supervision.
13. Pu-erh Tea
A lot of studies have shown that a tea made with pu-erh significantly inhibits fatty acid synthesis. This means that this tea can literally prevent the body from producing fat. The process of lipogenesis is blunted by drinking this traditional tea. In addition, the caffeine present in pu-erh triggers the body to secrete some hormones such as norepinephrine and epinephrine which are shown to enhance the mobilization of fatty acids stored in your fat cells. This allows your body to be easier to use these stored acids as fuel (and without keeping them on your stomach). Moreover, pu-erh tea has been proven to increase the cellular level of hormone-sensitive lipase which effectively blocks the accumulation of visceral fat. Hormone-sensitive lipase is a critical enzyme, which can unlock fat cells so that the contents can be drawn out.
However, if you want to use pu-erh tea for weight loss, like all other natural herbs for weight loss, you need to have enough determination and persistence. You will not get results instantly.
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Pu-erh leaves
- 1 to 2 cups of hot water
- Firstly, place pu-erh leaves in a teapot.
- Then, pour hot water over them to rinse so that you can remove impurities. Next, discard the water.
- Now, pour hot water over this rinsed tea and allow it to steep for about 2 minutes.
- Finally, strain and drink this tea.
14. Yerba Mate
Yerba Mate is known as a traditional drink in South American. In fact, it is an infusion made with the dried yerba mate plant and is drunk in a few social gatherings. Thanks to its health benefits, yerba mate drink has been known as a tea though it has a lot of similarities to coffee. Just like the coffee, yerba mate may also fill you with stamina due to its caffeine. However, the difference is that it will also raise the rate at which the body burns calories. In addition to increasing your metabolic rate, it also gives you other benefits of various vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and amino acids.
Besides, it also helps to slow down the digestion so that you will feel full for a longer time and consume fewer calories during a day. Therefore, you should replace your coffee with the yerba mate tea in the morning to lose weight.
- 1 tablespoon of dried yerba mate herb
- 1 to 2 cups of hot water
- At first, add dried yerba mate herb to your coffee press.
- Then, add hot water to this.
- Now, stir a little and then cover.
- After that, leave this plunger onto your French press and let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Finally, pour this tea into your cup and enjoy.
Cumin is another herb in the list of top natural herbs for weight loss that work. It is very useful for your digestion and the production of energy, and can improve the control of glycemic in people having type II diabetes. The herb has long been used in medicinal and has been found to improve memory, and gives potent anti-stress benefits.
According to a study carried out on overweight women, just adding 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds to the meal a day can help you to burn up to 3 times more body fat. This is great news, especially when cumin is universal and good for adding flavor to a lot of dishes. Try adding it to everything from soups, dressings, dips, stews, stir-fries, flatbreads, marinades, and savory baked goods.
Or, you can keep the cumin seeds in hot water and leave it for overnight. Then, let it cool and drink this tea. You should prepare enough tea to sip it on throughout the day.
16. Prickly Pear (Chi Opuntia)
Prickly pear (Chi Opuntia) is a cactus plant that is mostly consumed by Mexican women. Prickly pear cactus is also used as medicine for high cholesterol levels, diabetes, and other certain diseases consisting of obesity. The Journal of Clinical Nutrition in America has found high levels of antioxidants in this fruit. When you can control the blood sugar levels, you have a low level of bad cholesterol and a great supply of antioxidants; you will tend to lose weight naturally. The steady levels of blood sugar don't make you feel cravings for starchy and sugary foods. Certain antioxidants also increase the rate of fat oxidation and calorie burning.
You may find this fruit in the market that has already been cleared off its thorns. In fact, the whole fruit is very high in fiber content that may help a lot in losing weight by making you feel fuller and moving the bowels to decrease water retention. Or, you can also make a juice with prickly pear for your weight loss.
- 4 prickly pear fruits
- At first, cut off the ends of these fruits and then cut a slit down their bodies.
- Next, peel off their skin and place these peeled prickly pears in a food processor to take out the juice.
- Now, strain the juice through a sieve.
- Finally, drink 1 cup of this juice.
Note: If you are using diabetes medicines, consult a doctor before having the prickly pear. Lactating or pregnant women should also consult a doctor.
17. Herbs For Weight Loss Fast – Coleus Forskohlii (Plectranthus Barbatus)
Coleus forskohlii, also called Indian coleus, is native to South Asia and is a member of the mint family. It has been widely used in Ayurvedic medicine. The roots of coleus forskohlii plant contain a compound called forskolin. This component helps your body burn fat by stimulating thyroid function. In fact, forskohlii stimulates adenylate cyclase in your thyroid membranes that are in charge of regulating cells like adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and cyclic adenosine monophosphate (CAMP). ATP provides you with energy while CAMP is connected to adrenaline. When you use coleus forskohlii, you feel lesser hungry and more energetic. It is more effective for losing weight in men because it also enhances testosterone hormone. Besides, this herb reduces both fat mass and body fat in men while raising their bone mass and lean body mass.
- While coleus forskohlii is a part of a diet for vegetarians and is widely used to make pickles, you may have this root extract of coleus forskohlii as one of other natural herbs for weight loss because the root is a part that is medicinally beneficial for losing weight.
- However, the whole root contains little amount of forskolin & cannot provide any therapeutic advantage. Get the one that contains 18% forskolin. A proper dose of this herb is 50 milligrams for 2 to 3 times per day.
Precaution: Consult a doctor before using whatsoever natural herbs for weight loss if you are a nursing or pregnant woman or taking some medication.
18. Gurmar Leaves
Gurmar has been long used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat many diseases including diabetes, kidney stones, enlargement of spleen and liver, and obesity. It is a good digestive stimulant, astringent, and diuretic herb. Gurmar helps to destroy sweetness. When you chew its leaves, you will lose the ability to savor sweet for at least four hours. When you take his herb internally, it balances the sugar levels and improves triglyceride and cholesterol levels. According to some studies, the gymnemic acid in this herb is in charge of the positive effects. Because this herb also lowers the cravings of sugar, this can be listed in the natural herbs for weight loss that work.
- Traditionally, you should have 6 to 12 grams of gurmar leaves in the powder form. This equals roughly 1.5 to 3 teaspoons. However, if you have diabetes and are taking medicines, you ought to consult a doctor, medical herbalist, or an Ayurvedic practitioner before taking these leaves for weight loss.
19. Lose Weight Fast With Sage
We are living in a busy life, and a lot of people are stressed about a thing on a daily basis. The body cannot handle constant stress, and this can have harm effects on various functions including weight loss or gain. When you are under stress, the body will release cortisol, a steroid hormone, which can affect the blood sugar level. This will make you feel appetite and store energy more readily. Neuropeptide Y is also a neurochemical that is associated with stress. When released, it can cause the growth of fat tissue as well as an increase in appetite. A useful way to fight the underlying stress is to consume more sage, which contains calming effects on the mind and body. Making a calming tea with sage, or even adding it to your dishes, is another way to help you fight your stress levels.
- Dried sage – 2 teaspoons
- Or fresh sage – a handful
- Boiling water – 1 glass
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Firstly, pour boiling water over this herb.
- Then, allow it to brew for 4 to 5 minutes.
- After that, strain and add lemon juice to it if you like.
- Finally, drink this tea for 1 to 2 times daily.
20. Natural Herbs For Weight Loss Fast – Asparagus
Asparagus is very rich in essential nutrients and soluble fiber inulin that can help to suppress appetite. According to a study, 6 grams of inulin can be as filling as about 260 calories of food.
In addition, according to some studies, asparagus is a great source of various B vitamins, such as B6, B3, B2, and B1. Certain kinds of B vitamins can work together in order to metabolize glucose and then regulate your blood sugar. And keeping your stable blood sugar levels assists you in avoiding crashes and binges that result in overeating.
Besides, the high fiber content present in asparagus can encourage digestive health by maintaining your system moving as well as stimulating probiotic growth. Moreover, its high content of vitamin K works as a natural diuretic, which makes asparagus become a great tool for people feeling puffy or bloated. De-bloating may help you to look and feel better.
- Asparagus – 1 bunch
- A little water
- At first, wash the asparagus and then lightly peel the stems in case they are thick.
- Then, place them in a pan with 1 inch of water.
- Next, cover it with a fitting lid.
- Now, turn on heat to medium high to steam them for about 3 minutes or until it is tender and can use a fork to pierce easily.
- Finally, consume the asparagus instantly or after cooling it down.
If you want to learn more about natural home remedies & beauty tips for body issues, go to our main Food for Beauty page. After reading this writing of top 20 natural herbs for weight loss that work, hope that it can help you find out the best methods using a natural herb to lose your weight. If you have any question, or you know other natural herbs for weight loss that work, please leave them below.