Psoriasis is a kind of skin disorder, which causes an irritating and unpredictable feeling. It occurs when the skin cells multiply faster than normal speed; a large number of dead skin cells appear on the skin surface and cause red plaques with white scales. It often occurs on the scalp, elbows, knees, palms, etc. Because psoriasis begins from the inside of your immune system and closely relates to your white blood cells, an urgent treatment for this disease is necessary before its symptoms get worse. If you get psoriasis, do not hesitate to follow our best home remedies for psoriasis on your scalp and body on this article of Beauty Talk.
Top 14 Science-Based Home Remedies For Psoriasis On Your Scalp And Body
I. What Are The Symptoms Of Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is presented in many different symptoms related to different types of this disease. The most common ones are often:
- Plaque psoriasis with red plaques and silvery scales. They often go with the itchy and painful feeling. These plaques can appear everywhere on your body, especially in genitals and within your mouth.
- Guttate psoriasis with small and water-drop-shaped lesions on your arms, legs, and especially the scalp.
- Inverse psoriasis with red and infected skin, which is often caused by a fungal infection.
- Pustular psoriasis with widespread patches on hands and feet
- Erythrodermic psoriasis with red and peeling rash on the whole body
II. Home Remedies For Psoriasis
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to ease the irritation and soreness of the psoriasis skin area. Moreover, the antiseptic properties of this ingredient are good at treating infection, especially the one causing scalp psoriasis. The vitamins A, B1, C, and iron, potassium in this ingredient can help to exfoliate the top skin layers, which is full of dead skin cells when you get psoriasis .
Note: Make sure to choose organic, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar for optimum results.
Remedy 1: Apple Cider Vinegar And Water
BeautyTalk Partner Solutions
Ask Any Questions and Get Answers within Minutes, 24/7!
The Medical Experts are available whenever you need them. You can even approve payment only when you’re completely satisfied.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 1/2 cup of water
- Apply the above mixture to the infected skin area
- Wait for about 20 minutes and then wash off with clean water.
Remedy 2: Apple Cider Vinegar And Baking Soda
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and an equal amount of baking soda to a small bowl
- Add to this bowl a suitable amount of water and mix them well
- Apply the above mixture to the infected skin area and wait for half an hour
- Wash off with clean and warm water
- Dry your skin gently
Remedy 3: Apple Cider Vinegar And Olive Oil
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil and a suitable amount of water
- Place the above mixture to the infected skin area and leave it through the night
- You should combine with gently massaging the skin area with psoriasis
- Rinse with warm water in the next morning
- If psoriasis affects you on a large scale, you can increase the amount of apple cider vinegar and olive oil to 2 tablespoons of each ingredient.
Remedy 4: Apple Cider Vinegar And Glycerin
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and glycerin
- Place the above mixture to the psoriasis skin area
- Wait for half an hour and then rinse off with clean water
- You are advised to apply this remedy twice per day to ease the irritated skin area fast and effectively
Remedy 5: Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey, And Cinnamon
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV with an equal amount of honey
- Add to the above mixture a pinch of cinnamon
- Mix all of the above ingredients well
- Consume the above mixture and then drink a glass of water.
Note: To get the best result, you should follow these directions every day.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is rich in citric acid, which can help to treat the inflammation and exfoliate your skin very well. It is also effective at boosting your immune system and replenishing the skin thanks to its antioxidants and vitamin C . Moreover, it is said that consuming lemon juice is an excellent way to control skin disorder, moisturize dry skin cells, and release the dryness and irritation. You can directly soak a cotton ball into a bowl with lemon juice and then let the juice cover the psoriasis skin area. For this remedy, you should wait for 5 to 10 minutes before washing off with water. Continuously applying this remedy in 3 to 4 weeks will bring you a positive result. Or, you can follow the directions below:
- Prepare a glass of warm water and add to it the juice of half a lemon
- Add to this glass 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of honey and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Stir well for the ingredients to dissolve into the water
- Drink the above water twice per day to get the best result.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is considered to be one of the best natural home remedies for psoriasis. This ingredient has soothing properties, so it can effectively ease the itching and irritated feeling. Moreover, by using aloe vera, the swelling and skin disorder will be treated very fast thanks to the appearance of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera is a great skin moisturizer and psoriasis treatment as it shows significant improvement in 83% of psoriasis patients after a month of using.
Remedy 1: Aloe Vera Gel
- Prepare an aloe vera leaf and extract the gel
- Put the gel into a bowl
- Soak a cotton ball into this bowl and then place on the affected skin area.
- To get the best result, you should apply this remedy 3 times per day in at least 3 or 4 weeks.
Remedy 2: Aloe Vera And Lavender Oil
- Extract aloe vera gel
- Add 1/4 cup of the gel and 6 – 8 drops of lavender oil to a blender
- Blend to mix then well
- Apply the mixture to the affected skin area
- Wait for about 20 – 25 minutes and then clean with clean water
- Repeat these directions twice per week to have the best result.
Note: This remedy is also useful for psoriasis on your scalp. In this case, you should wash your hair with a mild shampoo after using.
Remedy 3: Aloe Vera And Tea Tree Oil
- Mix 1 cup of aloe vera with 10 – 12 drops of tea tree oil
- Add 10ml each of jojoba oil and Vitamin E to the above mixture
- Place the above mixture to the affected skin area
- Massage your skin in 1 or 2 minutes and then wait for another 30 minutes
- Clean with water
- You should follow this recipe twice per day to get the best result.
4. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has been used to treat psoriasis for centuries. It contains a large number of minerals, which are effective in treating skin lesions, the main symptom of psoriasis. Moreover, using Epsom salt is a good way to soothe the itchiness and dryness from psoriasis . It will help to exfoliate your skin and reduce the number of dead skin cells on your skin surface very well.
Remedy 1: Epsom Salt For Psoriasis On Your Body
- Prepare a bathtub full of warm water
- Add one-quarter cup of Epsom salt to this water
- Soak your body in the bathtub and relax in 15 – 20 minutes
- Repeat this remedy twice per day in a month, and you will see the improvement
Remedy 2: Epsom Salt For Scalp Psoriasis
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt with your daily shampoo
- Wash your hair with this shampoo as normal
- Add Epsom salt to your shampoo whenever you wash your hair.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil contains around 90% of ricinoleic acid, which has antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Therefore, using castor oil is an effective way to prevent the growth of the virus and fungi on our skin. The antioxidants of this oil make it a powerful treatment for many types of skin diseases, including psoriasis.
- Prepare a clean cotton ball and soak it into castor oil
- Apply the above ball on the psoriasis skin area
- Wait for at least 2 hours and then rinse off with clean and warm water
- You can also apply castor oil to the affected skin area before you go to bed and then clean with warm water in the next morning to get the best result.
Turmeric can help to treat skin disorders, including psoriasis, thanks to the appearance of curcumin in this magic ingredient. Curcumin can help to prevent the unusual growth of your skin, which mainly causes psoriasis. Also, curcumin has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, so it is effective in treating the inflammation and spread of psoriasis . The regular use of this natural and inexpensive ingredient will help to reduce the plaques and lesions caused by psoriasis very quickly.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 3 or 4 tablespoons of water, and a clean cotton ball
- Mix turmeric powder with water well
- Soak a cotton ball into the above mixture and then gently apply to the affected skin area.
- After 30 minutes, wash off with clean water.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties, so it is widely used in treating many types of skin diseases. Thanks to the healing properties, tea tree oil can help to reduce the itchiness, swelling, redness, and irritation from psoriasis. Moreover, using tea tree oil will help to remove dead skin cells and scales from psoriasis.
Remedy 1: Tea Tree Oil Only
- Clean the psoriasis skin area and then dry it
- Directly apply the tea tree oil to the affected skin area and gently massage it.
Note: You should do this at night, before going to bed and leave through the night for the tea tree oil to absorb into your skin.
Remedy 2: Tea Tree Oil And Almond Oil
- Mix 2 tablespoons of almond oil with 5-6 drops of tea tree oil
- Apply the mixture to your affected skin area
- Leave it as long as possible to get the best result
Remedy 3: Tea Tree Oil And Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV with 4 tablespoons of water and 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil
- Dip a clean cotton ball into the mixture and apply to the affected skin area
- Wait for about 10 – 15 minutes for it to be dry and wash off with clean water
Remedy 4: Shampoo With Tea Tree Oil For Scalp Psoriasis
- Add 2 drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo and shake to mix them well
- Wash your hair with the above shampoo as usual
- Regularly apply this remedy to get rid of psoriasis as soon as possible
8. Coconut Oil
Thanks to the ability to nourish dry skin, coconut oil can give relief to the irritation and redness of psoriasis. The fatty acids in coconut oil can give fast healing and protect your skin from sun and aging. Moreover, coconut oil has anti-inflammatory, which is effective in reducing the inflammation from psoriasis. Infection caused by a virus, bacteria and fungi, one of the causes of psoriasis, will also be treated when you use coconut oil thanks to the appearance of an antiseptic property. Last but not least, using coconut oil will not only help you to treat psoriasis but also bring you a light, beautiful, and strong skin.
Remedy 1: Coconut Oil Only
- Heat 2 – 3 teaspoons of coconut oil until it melts
- Apply the above coconut oil to the psoriasis skin area and gently massage your skin
- Leave it on your skin overnight if possible
- You should apply this remedy twice per week to get the best result
Remedy 2: Coconut Oil And Lavender Oil
- Put 1 ounce of coconut oil into a bottle
- Add 5 drops of lavender oil and 10 drops of tea tree oil to this bottle
- Then, shake the bottle to mix all of the ingredients well
- Apply some drops of the above mixture to the psoriasis skin area and gently massage your skin
- You should wait for 2 or 3 hours and then clean with water
Note: This remedy is useful for psoriasis on the elbow, back, and legs. And, remember to apply this remedy once or twice per day to get the best result.
9. Baking Soda
Baking soda is famous for its antifungal properties, which can help to reduce the inflammation and remove dry and dead skin cells. Plus, it helps to soothe itchiness and skin sores caused by psoriasis.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 cup of warm water
- Soak a clean cotton ball into this water and apply to the affected skin area
- You should continuously apply this remedy on some days to remove the skin sores and reduce the psoriasis symptoms.
Yogurt can ease the itchiness and irritation from psoriasis thanks to its probiotics. Yogurt will help to moisturize your skin and remove the dead skin cells on your skin surface. For this remedy, you can directly apply 1/2 cup of fresh yogurt to the affected skin area and then rinse off with clean water after waiting for about 30 minutes. Regular use of this remedy will bring you a positive result. You can also use this remedy for scalp psoriasis. What you need to do is to apply yogurt to your scalp and wash your hair with water as normal after 30 minutes.
Ginger has been famous for both health and skin benefits as it detoxifies the blood. Moreover, it has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial compounds so it can effectively treat the infections from psoriasis. The painful and itchy feeling caused by psoriasis will be treated by drinking ginger tea.
Remedy 1: Ginger And Honey Tea
- Boil 1 cup of water
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried ginger herb to this boiled water and let it steep for a few minutes
- Strain the tea and add 1/2 teaspoon each of honey and lemon juice to it
- Stir the tea, let it warm, and then enjoy it
Note: Drink 1 – 2 cups of ginger and honey tea per day for best effects.
Remedy 2: Ginger And Turmeric Tea
Things you need:
- 8 ounces of water
- 1 teaspoon of grated turmeric root (or 1/3 teaspoon of dried turmeric)
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger root (or 1/3 teaspoon of dried ginger)
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Lemon juice
- Remember that all of the above ingredients should be fresh
- Boil water
- Add all of the above things to the boiling water
- Wait for them to steep in the water to make up a cup of tea
- Let the tea cool and consume it every day to treat psoriasis completely.
It seems that no one is strange with the anti-inflammatory properties of garlic, and that is the reason why it is very familiar in our daily life. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of garlic make it a powerful treatment for infection, one of the main causes of psoriasis. Moreover, garlic is rich in vitamin C, allicin, zinc, and selenium, which have strong antioxidant properties. It is said that consuming garlic can help to reduce oxidative stress, which has a close link to psoriasis inflammation. Adding garlic, in chopped or crushed form, to the daily meals is considered to be effective in treating psoriasis. Or, if you do not want to eat garlic all the time, you can follow the directions below:
- Add 1 -2 garlic cloves to a pan and roast them
- Chop or crush the roasted garlic into small pieces and add 1/4 cup of olive oil to them
- Leave it for 1 or 2 days
- Apply some of the above oil to the affected skin area and wash it off after 1 hour.
13. Henna Powder
Henna powder is famous for its cooling properties, so people often use it to soothe the pain and itchiness from psoriasis. Moreover, it can remove the scales and control the pH level of our skin. Thanks to the appearance of antifungal and antimicrobial properties, henna powder is believed to prevent skin disorders and treat the inflammation, virus, and fungi effectively.
- Add 2 tablespoons of henna powder to 1 – 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to make a paste
- Add to the paste above some water and mix them well
- Apply the combination to the affected skin area
- Wait for a few hours and clean with water
- For scalp psoriasis, this remedy is effective enough. After several hours of applying, you need to wash your hair with shampoo to remove the above mixture.
Note: Henna powder can cause allergies in people with sensitive skin. Therefore, it is necessary to do a patch test before applying this remedy.
14. Shea Butter
Shea butter is a kind of fatty substance extracted from the shea tree's nuts so it can deeply nourish our skin thanks to the existence of rich triglycerides. This substance also contains a large amount of vitamin A and E, so it is useful in treating psoriasis at all types by removing all of the patches and scales on the affected skin area.
- Melt some shea butter by using a double boiler
- Apply the melted shea butter to the infected skin area and combine with massaging in a few minutes for the butter to deeply absorb into your skin
- Leave it overnight and the next morning, rinse it off with clean water.
- For scalp psoriasis, you can also leave it through the night and wash your hair with shampoo to remove the butter in the morning.
- Apply this remedy 1 or 2 times per week to keep away from psoriasis.
III. Psoriasis Prevention
Although the above remedies are effective, we all know that prevention is much better than cure. So, please pay attention to the following information to ensure that you do not get trouble with psoriasis:
- Nourish your skin well. It is necessary to carefully take care of your skin and keep it moisturized. Keep the surrounding air moisture is a necessary step in preventing psoriasis.
- Pay attention to your diet as it plays an important role in controlling this disease. By consuming dietary supplements, you can decrease the risk of getting psoriasis. The National Psoriasis Foundation claimed that psoriasis patients could release the symptoms by eating more milk thistle, aloe vera, grape, and vitamin D. Moreover, you are advised to consume more omega-3 fatty acids, seeds, and nuts to reduce the inflammation. The oil from fish and primrose should also be added to daily meals to prevent psoriasis. In contrast, food such as meat and fatty snacks should be limited.
- Give up smoking because it can increase the risk of psoriasis for people who have not got psoriasis and worsen the situation of this disease's patients.
- Reduce stress by trying some activities like yoga, walking or running
- Keep away from alcohol. It is said that women who drink beer have a higher risk of getting psoriasis in comparison with those who do not drink. As psoriasis can be triggered by stress, smoking, and alcohol, a healthy lifestyle is the most important factor in preventing psoriasis.
Above are the best natural home remedies for psoriasis on your scalp and body that you can easily apply at home. If you have any other way or question, you can leave your comment under this article. We are very pleased to hear from you.
All material provided in this article is intended for informational and educational purposes only. It is best to consult your doctor or healthcare professional to determine which remedy is appropriate for you.