In This Article
Do you feel uncomfortable when having the oily skin, especially in the winter days? It still sticks to you although you have tried a lot of ways, right? Luckily, Beauty Talk will introduce to you some of the most effective home remedies for oily skin on face in summer. However, to get rid of it completely, you need to understand about it clearly. Oily skin is caused by the sebum overproduction from sebaceous glands under the surface of your skin. Sebum is known as an oily substance that is made of fats. It is not all bad because it helps to protect your skin and moisturize it while keeping your hair healthy and shiny. However, too much sebum may result in oily skin, which can cause clogged pores and acne breakouts. Genetics, stress, or hormone changes can increase the sebum production. Oily skin is challenging to manage. However, using home remedies can help to reduce symptoms without using prescription drugs or spending much money on skin-care products.
- Easy ways to make a homemade natural face toner for oily skin
- Easy ways to make a homemade face pack for oily skin
- Must-know tips to get rid of oily skin fast & naturally
40 Most Effective Home Remedies For Oily Skin On Face In Summer
1. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Apples
Do you like eating apples? Surprisingly, you can also use it as a wonderful & natural exfoliating agent. Apples are loaded with mild antiseptic, soothing, & astringent effects that make them be listed the great home remedies for oily skin. In addition, the malic acid present in apples aids in exfoliating dead skin cells and absorbing excess oil from your skin.
- Firstly, grate 1/2 apple and then apply the grated apple shreds to your skin.
- Next, leave the application for about 15 minutes.
- Finally, rinse your skin with tepid water.
- You can also add yogurt and lemon juice for better benefits.
- Firstly, mix 1 beaten egg white, 1 tsp. of lemon juice, and 1/2 cup each of mashed apple and cooked oatmeal to form a paste.
- Then, apply this paste to your face and keep it on within 15 to 20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse your skin with cool water.
- Follow this method regularly.
- At first, de-seed and crush 1 apple.
- Then, mix it with 4 tbsp. of honey.
- Now, apply it to your face and keep it on for about 20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse your skin with warm water.
- Follow the method regularly.
2. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Gram Flour Or Besan
As you may know, finding natural home remedies for oily skin is very easy. For example, you can use gram flour or besan. Thanks to its alkalizing effects, gram flour can aid in maintaining the pH level of your skin, which will help to control oil secretion by sebaceous glands. Moreover, it is a natural absorbent that helps to absorb excess oil & sebum from your skin pores, unclog the pores, and eliminate dead skin cells & impurities on the skin. It makes your skin look supple, tight, and soft. It also works as a natural cleanser that helps to get rid of accumulated oil, dirt, dead skin cells, and other impurities from the skin.
- Firstly, take 1 tbsp. of gram flour and then add an adequate amount of rose water to it to make a paste.
- Now, spread the paste over the skin. Do not apply the area around your eyes and mouth.
- After that, leave it to get dry completely.
- Finally, rinse off with water.
Note: You can use yogurt, milk, or fruit juice instead of rose water.
- Combine 2 tbsp. of besan, 1 tbsp. of honey and a little water to form a thick paste.
- Then, apply this paste to your face & neck.
- Now, wait for half an hour and then remove the mask.
- Repeat the remedy 3 times a week.
- Firstly, add 2 tbsp. of besan to a bowl.
- Then, add 1 tbsp. each of lemon juice & water to it.
- Now, mix them well and apply it to your face & neck.
- After that, leave it on for about 20 minutes or more.
- Finally, wash off the mask with water.
- Repeat the method 3 times a week.
3. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Oatmeal
Oatmeal helps to calm inflamed skin, remove excess oil, and unclog the pores. It also aids in exfoliating dead skin cells . The oatmeal facial scrub is considered as one of the excellent home remedies for oily skin and acne. Oatmeal is a natural moisturizer while it also contains skin healing, antioxidant, & anti-inflammatory properties. Using this oatmeal mask leaves your skin free of oil & dirt.
- Firstly, cook some oatmeal and cool it down.
- Then, combine oatmeal with honey to form a paste.
- Next, spread a thick layer of this paste on the skin.
- Now, leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off the mask with warm water.
- At first, combine 1/2 cup of ground oats and hot water in a bowl to form a paste.
- Then, stir it in 1 tbsp. of honey.
- Now, massage the mixture into the skin for about 3 minutes.
- Finally, rinse the face with warm water and use a cloth to pat it dry.
4. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Witch Hazel
Witch hazel has been famous for its skin soothing effects. You have probably noticed it in the list of natural ingredients in many health and beauty products because its powerful astringent and antioxidant benefits are known to aid in speeding the healing process, preventing signs of aging, stopping cellular damage, and killing bacteria in the skin pores. In addition, the tannins present in witch hazel extract make it a powerful astringent and help to eliminate excess oil from your skin.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in the solution.
- Then, apply it to the skin.
- Now, leave it on for a few minutes or until it dries completely.
- Finally, rinse off the skin with water.
- Grind dry oats into a fine powder.
- Add a little witch hazel to it to form a thick paste.
- Apply it to the skin and let it dry naturally.
- Rinse off the mask with water.
5. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Cornstarch
Cornstarch is starch that obtained from corn and used as an effective absorbent in cosmetics along with or instead of talc. In addition, it is also used as a natural thickening agent in many skin-care products. Generally, cornstarch can help to absorb excess oil and dirt on the skin surface, leaving a soft and clear skin.
- Firstly, mix 2-3 tbsp. of cornstarch and warm water in a bowl to make a paste.
- Now, apply it to your face and wait until it dries.
- Finally, rinse the skin with warm water.
- Repeat it daily.
Cucumbers are very beneficial for getting rid of oily skin thanks to its cooling, astringent, & soothing effects. In addition, the high content of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins E & A, magnesium, & potassium, are extremely good for nourishing your oily skin.
- Cut 1 fresh cucumber into thick slices.
- Rub them thoroughly on the face.
- Keep it on overnight.
- Rinse the skin with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Follow this way daily before going to sleep.
- Mix 1/2 tsp. each of lime juice and cucumber juice.
- Apply the mixture to your skin and let it dry.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this method daily. This remedy may help to lighten freckles and ease sunburn.
7. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Egg Whites
Egg whites contain natural astringent properties that beneficial in shrinking and tightening the large pores. This helps to control the production of excess sebum. In addition, the drying properties of egg white draw out excess oil & dirt the skin pores from the deep inside. Besides, the vitamins, amino acids, & proteins found in egg whites enhance the skin elasticity and give it a young look.
- Take an egg white and gently whip it until stiff.
- Apply a layer of it to the skin.
- Let it dry completely.
- Rinse off the egg with water.
- Whip an egg white well until stiff.
- Add the juice of 1/2 lemon to it and stir them well.
- Apply a layer of this mixture to the face.
- Allow it to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse off the mask with water.
8. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Apple Cider Vinegar
As you may know, not only does apple cider vinegar effectively eliminate excess oil from the skin, but it also aids in balancing pH levels and preventing your skin from getting too dry or too oily by balancing the action of sebaceous glands. Besides, its antifungal and antibacterial effects can help to prevent and treat acne breakouts caused by the oily skin and bacteria. It is also good for unblocking skin pores and eliminating dead skin cells. Moreover, it is rich in alpha hydroxy acids that help to tone and moisturize your oily skin.
- Make a natural toner by diluting 1/4 cup of the apple vinegar with 3/4 cup of the distilled water.
- Apply this toner to your skin with a cotton ball.
- Keep it on for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse off the toner on the skin with cool water.
- Follow this way several times per week.
- Mix 1 tsp. of the apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water.
- Drink it daily before going to sleep.
- This helps to balance hormones, which will control the release of excess oil in your skin.
Note: If apple cider vinegar is not available, you may replace it with white vinegar.
9. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Lemon
Lemon juice contains a rich source of citric acid, which works as an astringent. It is also loaded with antiseptic properties that help to lighten skin discolorations and balance the skin’s pH level. The acid found in lemons may help to absorb excess oil on the skin. According to a study published in the Journal of Food Safety in 2008, lemons consist of antibacterial properties, which can help to remove bacteria causing acne .
- Mix 1 tsp. of lemon juice with 1/2 tsp. of distilled water.
- Spread it on your skin with a cotton ball.
- Keep it on for about 10 minutes.
- Wash your skin with warm water and then apply oil-free moisturizer to the skin.
- Do this method once daily.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp. of honey, and 1 tbsp. of milk.
- Apply the paste to your face and keep it on for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with cold water.
- Do it once daily.
10. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Milk
Raw milk works as a skin cleansing agent because it deeply cleans excess oil, sebum, and dirt from your skin pores and even removes blackheads. This will help to give you a glowing skin. The alpha hydroxy acids present in milk gently exfoliate your skin and help to maintain the natural pH balance of your skin.
Besides, raw milk is also an acne combating agent. It eliminates excess oil and controls the skin dryness. This naturally manages the appearance of acne breakouts. Moreover, raw milk is a tan reversing agent, which possibly protects your skin from sun damage.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of milk with 2-3 drops of the lavender or sandalwood essential oil.
- Apply this mixture to your face with a cotton ball.
- Massage the skin gently for several minutes to improve your blood circulation and keep it overnight.
- In the morning, rinse your skin with cold water.
- Repeat this method daily.
11. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Peppermint, Sage, & Yarrow
The combination of peppermint, sage, & yarrow contains strong astringent properties that are very beneficial for people with the oily skin.
- Add 1 tbsp. each of peppermint, yarrow, and sage to 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover the cup and steep the herbs for 30 minutes.
- Strain the tea and cool it down. Use a cotton ball to apply it to the skin.
- Let it dry completely and wash off the skin with water.
- You may store the rest for future use.
12. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Almonds
Almonds are a rich content of vitamin E, which can make your skin look soft and supple. Thanks to its anti-aging effects, almonds aid in reducing wrinkles & fine lines on the face. The oily skin always has a tendency to attract dirt because of excessive sebum production. This results in acne and breakouts. It also helps to absorb excess oil and remove the dirt from the skin.
- Grind raw almonds to get 3 teaspoons of almond powder.
- Add 2 tbsp. of raw honey to it and mix them well.
- Apply it to your skin gently in a circular motion and keep it on for about 10–15 minutes.
- Rinse the skin with warm water and dry it with a soft cloth.
13. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Yogurt
Yogurt contains mineral zinc that offers mild astringent properties to help shrink the skin pores and reduce oil production on the skin. In addition, lactic acid & alpha hydroxyl acid in yogurt acts as an exfoliant that aids in unclogging the pores and cleansing away the impurities on the skin surface. Besides, yogurt is also effective in moisturizing the skin and preventing the sebaceous glands from getting overactive.
- Spread 1 tbsp. of yogurt evenly on your face.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse off the yogurt with cool water.
- Follow this simple way once daily.
- Mix 1 tbsp. each of yogurt and ground oatmeal.
- Then, stir them in 1 tsp. of warm honey.
- Now, apply the mixture to your face.
- Wait for 10 or 15 minutes.
- Rinse the skin with warm water.
14. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Salt
The gritty properties of salt effectively help to remove dead skin cells & impurities on the skin. You can use Epsom salt, kosher salt, or sea salt for scrubbing. Sea salt is considered a natural detoxifier that has many valuable minerals. Sea salt also helps to cleanse and draw impurities from the deep layers of your skin while it is one of the natural home remedies for oily skin.
- Combine 1 tbsp. each of salt, lavender buds, and lemon juice well.
- Gently massage the paste on your skin for a few minutes.
- Keep it on for a few minutes.
- Rinse off the mask with clean water.
- Combine 2 tbsp. of Epsom salt and a few drops of lavender oil or peppermint oil.
- Massage the paste on the skin for several minutes.
- Rinse off the paste with clean water and pat it dry.
Nutmeg is very excellent at reducing oil on the skin. Also, it is a wonderful home remedy for acne breakouts. Nutmeg can regulate the production of oil in the oil glands. After applying the method 1 time, you can see much less oil produced on the skin. Regularly applying this way for once a day may help to reduce excess oil on the skin.
- Wash the nutmegs thoroughly.
- Rub them on the pestle.
- Collect nutmeg powder in the mortar.
- Add water to the powder and make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to the skin and keep it for 2 hours.
- Wash it off with tepid water.
16. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains the healing & nurturing effects that make it ideal for getting rid of the acne-prone oily skin. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, it can help to treat breakouts and various skin problems.
According to a study in the Journal of Skin Research and Technology in 2013, aloe vera is effective in maintaining skin hydration after a single application .
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf and then take the gel.
- Apply the gel to the skin and then massage for 1 minute.
- Let it dry completely.
- Wash the skin with clean water.
- Add an aloe vera leaf to a pot with water and boil it.
- Simmer it for a few minutes.
- Remove it from the flame and let it cool.
- Grind it by adding a little honey.
- Apply this paste to the clean skin and wait for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the skin off with cold water.
- Repeat this process once per week.
17. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Baking Soda
Baking soda makes a good facial scrub and cleanser for people with oily skin. It is effective in eliminating dead skin cells, restricting oil production, and balancing the pH levels. The baking soda scrub helps to unclog skin pores and prevent some skin conditions such as pimples and acne. This scrub also aids in exfoliating your face and controlling moisture. Besides, it is necessary for you to moisturize the skin right after using the scrub because it can be drying on your skin. Because baking soda sometimes causes irritation, it isn’t recommended for people who have sensitive skin to use the scrub.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of baking soda and 1 tbsp. water to form a paste.
- Massage the paste into your face.
- Allow it to dry for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse the skin with warm water.
- Take 1 tbsp. of honey and 1/2 tsp. each of baking soda & lemon juice.
- Mix them well.
- Apply the mixture to your face by using your fingertips.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off the mask with water.
18. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Tea Tree Oil
Do you know that tea tree oil is regarded as the best essential oil for getting rid of acne & pimples on oily skin? It has antibacterial effects, which makes it great for fighting bacteria that cause acne. Also, it helps to reduce redness and treat inflammation.
According to a study in the Medical Journal of Australia in 1990, 5% tea-tree oil gel help to reduce the appearance of acne while healing lesions . The researchers found that this oil also was as effective as some skin-care products having benzoyl peroxide commonly used as a topical treatment for acne.
- Dilute 10 to 12 drops of tea tree oil with 1 ounce of jojoba oil.
- Then, soak a cotton ball in this oil mixture.
- Now, cleanse your oily skin with it gently.
- Leave for about half an hour.
- Rinse the skin with clean water.
19. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Orange Peels
Orange peels contain astringent properties that help to restrict the excess secretion of oil on the skin. Besides, the vitamin C in it aids in preventing wrinkles and making your skin look fresh and soft.
- Dry the orange peels under the sunlight until crisp.
- Grind them into a fine powder.
- Mix orange peel powder with rose water to form a paste.
- Spread a thin layer of this paste on your skin and let it sit on for about 15 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with clean water and pat it dry.
20. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Turmeric
Turmeric can help to promote skin healing and reduce inflammation & redness. Thanks to its antioxidant properties, turmeric has been used for rejuvenating the skin. Excessive production of oil and sebum by the sebaceous glands can be the main cause of oily skin. Therefore, you have to keep your face clear of the excess oil by cleansing it frequently. Turmeric is known to help regulate the production of excess sebum. Therefore, it is very beneficial for oily skin.
- Mix equal amounts of turmeric powder, honey, and yogurt.
- Apply the mixture to your skin to exfoliate it and reduce inflammation.
- Allow it to work for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water.
Note: You can also add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to the above face mask, which helps lighten the skin tone and it is also good for your oily skin. If you have acne, you can add some drops of the tea tree essential oil to the mask.
21. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Strawberries
In fact, strawberries are one of the fruits that you may use for scrubbing. The rich source of vitamin C and the seeds of strawberries brighten the skin tone and remove excess oil and dead skin cells. It also prevents wrinkles while slowing down the aging process.
- Mash a few strawberries to form a paste.
- Then, add some drops of lemon juice to it and mix them well.
- Apply the mask to your face and scrub the skin gently for a few minutes.
- Keep it on until it gets dry completely.
- Rinse the skin with clean water and pat it dry.
- Or, you can replace lemon juice with honey.
22. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Tomatoes
Tomatoes are one of the great home remedies for oily skin thanks to their cooling, astringent, and clarifying properties. The high content of vitamin C in tomatoes is also helpful for the acne-prone skin. In addition, the natural oil-absorbing acids found in tomatoes help to remove excess oil.
Tomatoes are loaded with salicylic acid, which is used as a common home remedy for acne. The acids present in tomatoes help to absorb excess oil on the skin and help to unclog skin pores.
- Cut 1 tomato in half and then rub it on the skin.
- Let the juice soak into the skin for 15 minutes or more.
- Rinse the skin with cold water and pat it dry.
- Apply an oil-free moisturizer to the skin.
Note: You may also make a facial mask by mixing 3 tbsp. of tomato juice with 1 tbsp. of honey.
- Combine 1 tsp. of sugar and the pulp of a tomato together.
- Apply the paste to the skin and massage it in a circular motion.
- Keep the mask on the face for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse it thoroughly with tepid water.
- Pat the skin dry.
23. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Honey
Honey may help to reduce excess oil production on the skin surface, clear skin pores, and prevent wrinkles. Also, honey contains moisturizing properties that aid in nourishing the skin and moisturizing it sufficiently without making it oily. In addition, the natural antiseptic effects of honey are highly beneficial for people with acne-prone oily skin.
Lemon can dry out excess oil and rejuvenate the skin while the gritty property of sugar exfoliates dead skin cells & other impurities on the skin from the deep inside.
- Mix 1 tsp. each of honey, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Apply this mixture to the skin.
- Gently massage it for several minutes and keep it on for a few minutes.
- Rinse off the paste with water and then pat it dry.
- Or, you can spread a thin layer of raw honey over the face and keep it on for about 15 minutes. After that, wash your face. Follow this method twice daily.
24. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Jojoba Oil
Although applying essential oil to your oily skin seems to be counterproductive, jojoba oil is considered as one of the folk home remedies for oily skin, acne, & some other skin problems. It is thought that jojoba oil can mimic sebum on your skin to “trick” the sebaceous glands into release less sebum and help to balance oil levels. However, there is no scientific research to favor this theory. Still, according to a study in the Journal of Complementary Medicine Research in 2012, applying a face mask made of jojoba oil and healing clay 2 to 3 times a week helps heal mild acne and skin lesions .
- Add 1 tbsp. of healing clay to a small bowl.
- Then, pour an equal part of jojoba oil to it.
- Stir them to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the face and massage the skin in a gentle circular motion.
- Allow the mask to dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off with warm water.
- Repeat this treatment regularly until you get rid of oily skin.
25. Home Remedies For Oily Skin – Fuller’s Earth
Using Fuller’s Earth is one of the popular home remedies for oily skin & acne. It contains magnesium chloride that helps to drag out the dirt & oil in the skin pores, inhibit oil production, and eliminate impurities. This in turns helps to prevent acne & blackheads.
- Mix 3 tbsp. of Fuller’s Earth with rose water or plain water to form a paste.
- Apply this paste to the face and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the face thoroughly with clean water.
- Repeat this mask once a week.
Above are the most effective home remedies for oily skin on face in summer that you should not miss. If you know other natural home remedies for oily skin with easy-to-find ingredients, please share with us by leaving your comments at the end of this writing. For other natural treatments for skin conditions, please visit our Skin Care page.