Not only does nail fungus cause pain, but it also makes patients embarrassed. The fungus is more likely to attack toenails; it thickens your nails, makes them discolored and fragile, along with releases a foul odor. People may try different medications to treat nail fungus, but these medications do not show any effects, or whether the treatment is successful or not, nail fungus still recurs. So if you are seeking a remedy for your fungus problem, it is better to pick a natural one. And coconut oil is probably a wonderful choice. Please keep reading the article; Beauty Talk will give you every needful information about nail fungus, benefits of coconut oil, and how to use coconut oil to treat nail fungus.
The Best Way To Use Coconut Oil For Nail Fungus Treatment
I. What Is Nail Fungus?
Nail fungus (or onychomycosis) occurs when your nails have cracks that allow the fungus to get in and cause infections. The most common agent that leads to nail infections is a type of fungi called dermatophyte. Molds and yeast are also factors of infections.
Symptoms of nail fungus are:
- Thickened nails
- Deformed nails
- Brittle nails
- Yellowed nails
- Appearing white dots on nails that can gradually get larger
- Foul odor in the affected nails
- Nails separating from nail beds in the severe stage
Everybody can have nail fungus, but the risk is higher in men, elderly people, and people who have one of these issues:
- Weakened immune system
- Poor blood circulation
- Athlete’s foot
- Smoking habit
- A family history of nail
Do not skip nail fungus and think it will heal itself because it definitely will not. The infection might be more serious, and the fungus might spread to the skin around the nails. Therefore, it is essential to choose the right treatment.
- 18 tips on how to make nails stronger and longer at home
- 18 easy ways how to remove nail fungus naturally and fast
- 32 proven home remedies for nail fungus on toes, fingers, & from acrylic nails
II. Benefits Of Coconut Oil And Why Should Use It For Nail Fungus?
According to studies, coconut oil has a lot of benefits for health, thanks to the presence of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) in its composition. These healthy fatty acids include lauric acid, caprylic acid, and capric acid; and lauric acid is the most vital. Coconut oil is also high in saturated fat, approximately 92 percent. All of those components make coconut oil a superfood on earth.
MCFAs provide utilities that stand out from what of fatty acid chain found in other plant-based oils:
- They are more digestible.
- They have antimicrobial and antifungal
- The small size of them permits cell osmosis to be easier for immediate energy.
- They are not stored as fat with ease because your liver processes them. This means they are converted into energy straightaway.
Some proven benefits of coconut oil for general health:
- Useful for the brain: It is used as a natural remedy for Alzheimer’s disease .
- Useful for the heart: It helps prevent coronary heart disease.
- Useful for the gastrointestinal system: It improves digestion, protects the liver, and reduces stomach ulcers, gallbladder disease, pancreatitis, and so on.
- Useful for the kidney: It helps treat kidney infection and eliminate kidney stones.
- Useful for the skin: It moisturizes and whitens the skin and heals skin sunburn, eczema, etc.
- Useful for the hair: It is used as a natural hair conditioner while strengthening the hair and getting rid of dandruff.
- Useful for weight loss: You can use coconut oil to burn fat and calories and build muscles. (You can know other ways to lose weight at Best Fat-Melting Teas For Weight Loss. This article was medically reviewed/ fact checked by RACHELLE CAVES, RDN, CNSC, CPT.)
If you are certainly wondering why nail fungus treatment is not a part of the above benefits; do not rush, it will come right now. Researchers have shown that each of the fatty acids in MCFAs plays a crucial role in the treatment of nail fungus in various ways. Lauric acid may fight against bacteria, reduce candida (yeast, the parasitic fungus causing thrush) and kill viruses by creating an unconducive environment for them. Caprylic acid is responsible for destroying many types of fungi. It imbues the fungus’ cell membrane and breaks down one by one. Capric acid also contributes to treating yeast infections. As a result, all infected factors are expelled, and coconut oil becomes a perfect remedy for nail fungus.
Moreover, coconut oil has been utilized for centuries as a natural way to treat various skin conditions, such as psoriasis, dry skin, eczema, and fine lines. Also, it has even been found to contain small amounts of SPF, which makes it a protector from the sunlight.
III. What Type Of Coconut Oil Is Good For Nail Fungus?
You should use unrefined coconut oil that has not been bleached and processed through any deodorizing method when being produced. The refining process removes its natural antioxidant effects and nutrients, which are beneficial in fighting infection. That is why you should choose virgin oils.
Virgin coconut oil is recommended for getting rid of nail fungus. This coconut oil type is made instantly after removing the husks, increasing its effectiveness. Avoid using the coconut oil type that has been hydrogenated, particularly if you intend to add it to your diet.
IV. Detailed Recipes To Use Coconut Oil For Nail Fungus
1. Coconut Oil Massage
Massage is the simplest method to use coconut oil for nail fungus treatment. Because coconut oil is an antifungal agent in nature, it may work wonders on toenails yellowed due to fungus.
- Wash your affected areas thoroughly with cool water and then dry it out.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil on your hands and gently massage each nail and the skin surrounding the nails for some minutes.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day
- You can also warm up coconut oil before massaging for faster effect.
2. Coconut Oil Dressing
Cover the influenced areas with dressings is a good way for coconut oil to penetrate the skin and nails. This remedy works best if applied before sleeping.
- Warm coconut oil up in a microwave.
- Soak all of the dressings into the oil solution and wrap around the affected nails.
- Let the oil dry completely.
- Wear socks or plastic bags to protect the dressings and then go to bed.
- Do the process every day.
3. Coconut Oil And Oregano Oil
Oregano oil contains antifungal properties that help deal well with nail fungus, especially when combined with coconut oil. However, oregano oil is too strong, which may irritate the skin. Therefore, you should only add a small amount of oregano oil to the mixture of coconut oil to enhance the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Mix 5 tablespoons of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of oregano oil.
- Apply the mixture to the infected areas after cleaning.
- Massage for a couple of minutes and then leave the oil to dry naturally.
- Do this twice a day for at least 2 weeks.
4. Coconut Oil And Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil acts as a powerful antifungal agent. It also has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory abilities . These uses make tea tree oil one of the most frequently recommended ingredients for treating nail fungal conditions.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to the liquid coconut oil.
- Lightly rub the mixture on the affected areas for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure daily.
5. Coconut Oil And Clove Oil
Antiseptic and antifungal compounds in clove oil give it the capacity to kill candida, as well as get rid of nail fungus.
- Blend 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 2-4 drops of clove oil.
- Apply the mixture to the affected nails and the skin areas around it.
- Reduplicate during the day.
6. Coconut Oil And Cinnamon Oil
Cinnamon oil is known to be a potent antimicrobial and antifungal properties, as it contains a chemical element called eugenol and a bio-active isolate called o-methoxycinnamaldehyde, all of which are beneficial in killing fungi. Thus, you can use the combination of coconut oil and cinnamon oil to treat nail fungus infections.
- Create a mixture of 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and a few drops of cinnamon oil.
- Dab the oil on the affected areas and allow it to dry.
- Do this method daily.
7. Coconut Oil And Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil is a natural, non-toxic fungicide. With its scent, lemongrass oil both brings efficacy and makes your treatment more comfortable.
- Mix half a cup of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of lemongrass oil.
- Apply a little of the mixture to each infected nail and massage for a few minutes.
- Let the oil sit to dry.
- Implement twice daily.
8. Coconut Oil, Fenugreek, And Camphor
Fenugreek is an amazing medicinal herb that has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Therefore, it helps treat many health issues, including controlling cholesterol level, improving digestion, diminishing inflammation, and treating nail fungus. Besides, camphor can be used topically to treat fungal infections, as it is an intense disinfectant.
- Add 1 cup of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a pot and boil it for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of camphor and stir well.
- Remove the pot from heat and wait for the mixture to cool down a little bit.
- When you feel the mixture reaches the temperature that you can withstand, apply it to your nails.
- Repeat the process three times a day.
V. Side Effects And Precautions Of Using Coconut Oil
Without digesting, coconut oil does not cause many side effects. Only one thing you should concern is allergic reactions. Although coconut oil allergy is not as common as other allergies, it still causes trouble in people who are sensitive skin type. Allergic reactions include rashes, itches, and burns. If you develop any of these symptoms after putting coconut oil on your skin, stop immediately, and avoid further application and consumption.
There are two types of coconut oil, including extra virgin and commercial coconut oil. In every natural coconut oil remedy, remember to use the extra virgin form to minimize side effects and gain the highest advantages.
VI. When To See Doctor?
You may need to contact your doctor if you have applied all of the home remedies without bringing any effects. Older people, people with diabetes, and those having other nail and skin damages such as psoriasis at the same time with nail fungus must consult specialists for proper therapy.
Additional tips to prevent nail fungus from occurring and recurring:
- Wash your hands and feet regularly and moisturize your nails after that.
- Also, cleanse your hands after touching fungal infections to avoid spreading.
- Ideally to trim your nails once to twice a month. Do not share your nail cutting pliers with others and make sure to sanitize them every time using.
- Often change socks and choose socks and shoes that allow your skin to breathe easily.
- Do not go barefoot in public areas.
- Stay away from nail polish or select an organic nail polish to protect your nails.
At this moment, we hope you have acquired enough knowledge about how to use coconut oil for nail fungus treatment. Please share with us your experience of this problem by typing a comment in the box below. If you want to find more ways to handle different diseases with foods, visit our main Foods For Beauty page.