Are you struggling with dandruff? Are you looking for the best solution for your condition? Don’t worry because this article will help you. Today’s article will list out the best natural ways to use apple cider for dandruff. Why does apple cider vinegar help remove dandruff? How to use it? Keep reading this post on Beauty Talk to understand more!
- Top 36 effective home treatments for dandruff
- Top 29 natural ways to eliminate dandruff fast
- Top 10 amazing benefits of apple cider vinegar for beauty
Apply Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff By Using These Simple Ways
I. What Is Dandruff?
Dandruff is one of the most common scalp disorders, causing white or grey flakes of skin, which appear on the scalp or in the hair. Studies have shown that dandruff often results from a reaction to a fungus called Malassezia, which is present on our scalp. There is a wide range of reasons contributing to the increase of these hateful flakes such as scalp dryness, irritated or oily skin, improper hair hygiene, hormonal changes, and pollution . More importantly, these underlying causes can support the growth of the Malassezia fungus.
This problem is considered to be a chronic condition that is difficult to treat completely. According to many health experts, dandruff usually appears between the ages of 10 and 20, affecting up to over 40% of adults in their 30s. Even though dandruff is a harmless and non-contagious skin condition, it can be a great embarrassment. Therefore, to halt its unexpected effects on our daily routines, we need to eradicate dandruff as soon as possible. To this end, using apple cider vinegar is one of the most simple and effective ways to deal with dandruff.
II. Why Does Apple Cider Vinegar Work Effectively In Removing Dandruff
The name says it all: apple cider vinegar is a kind of vinegar made from two basic components, which are cider and apple. Apple cider vinegar is regarded as an ancient folk remedy for a vast variety of health problems. It has shown to have impacts on losing weight, lowering blood sugar levels, improving symptoms of diabetes, reducing cholesterol and risks of heart diseases and even having protective effects against cancer. Some of these benefits have been supported by scientific research .
BeautyTalk Partner Solutions
Ask Any Questions and Get Answers within Minutes, 24/7!
The Medical Experts are available whenever you need them. You can even approve payment only when you’re completely satisfied.
How does apple cider vinegar (ACV) work effectively to treat dandruff?
ACV is claimed to be useful to soothe the distressing symptoms of dandruff.
- ACV has antifungal properties that help kill fungal infections on the scalp.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties alleviate the itchiness and irritation caused by dandruff.
- The acidic level of apple cider vinegar keeps the pH level balanced on the scalp. This helps control the fungus growth without affecting the scalp’s natural oil production.
- ACV functions as a mild conditioner, opening clogged pores to strengthen the scalp and kill bacteria and fungal infections as well.
Read more: Apple cider vinegar is also a powerful remedy for sebaceous cysts removal. This article was medically reviewed/fact checked by Perpetua Neo (DClinPsy, UCL; MPhil, Cambridge).
III. How To Make Apple Cider Vinegar At Home?
- Three fresh apples
- Organic cane sugar
- Filtered water
- A clean jar
- Step 1: Wash and chop your apples into medium-sized pieces and put them into a clean and sterilized jar
- Step 2: Dissolve sugar with a cup of water and add this liquid into the jar to cover the apples
- Step 3: Cover the jar with cheesecloth and rescue it with a rubber band, then put it in a dark and warm place that stays consistently at room temperature for 2-3 weeks
- Step 4: Extract the liquid and discard pieces of apple
- Step 5: Return the liquid to the jar and store it again in the dark and warm place for 3-4 weeks, remember to stir the liquid every few days.
- Step 6: After 4 weeks, you can taste your vinegar and decide whether it reaches your acidity or not and start using it.
IV. How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff
1. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar Directly To Your Scalp
You will need: 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Step 1: In this remedy, you apply apple cider vinegar directly to your scalp and massage gently
- Step 2: Cover your head with a warm towel to facilitate the penetration of apple cider vinegar into your scalp
- Step 3: Leave the apple cider vinegar on for 10-15 minutes and wash it off with mild shampoo and water
- Step 4: Redo it twice a week for strong hair and healthy scalp
Cautions: If your scalp is too sensitive or has open sores, you should consider other remedies.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
You should go through this process before taking a shower because it acts as a deep cleanser for your hair, removing the build-up of flakes, adding shine to your hair and sustaining the pH balance of your scalp.
You will need:
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Dilute ACV with a liter of water
- After washing your hair, pour the diluted apple cider vinegar onto it
- Dry your hair gently and do not rinse it any further
- Apply this method once every two weeks
3. Apple Cider Vinegar With Baking Soda
Baking soda is believed to function as a cleansing agent. It helps to wash off the oil and grease on your hair and keep your hair clean. It is also a natural antiseptic and antifungal that can treat the fungal infections causing dandruff. The combination of the acidity of apple cider vinegar and the alkalinity of the baking soda works to balance the pH level and acts as an antimicrobial agent against the fungus.
You will need:
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Get a thick paste by mixing equal amounts of baking soda and vinegar
- Apply this solution to your scalp and rub smoothly to wipe out dead skin and build-up
- Clean your hair with water after the 5-minute massage
Baking soda can be effective for a short period. However, if you use it for a long-term period, it can make your scalp dry and irritated.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar With Lemon
Lemon is rich in vitamin C, and the citric acid in lemon juice can inhibit the growth of the fungus Malassezia. Its antioxidants can strengthen the healthy scalp and hair. Moreover, lemon helps absorb oils on the scalp and sheds away dead skin cells, soothing itchiness and irritation. Lemon in collaboration with apple cider vinegar can be a powerful treatment for dandruff.
You will need:
- The juice from lemons
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Pour the juice extracted from lemons and apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle and shake to combine.
- Divide your hair into sections and spritz this mixture onto your scalp and hair until your hair becomes saturated completely with this liquid
- Use a towel to cover your hair and wait for 30 minutes
- Wash your hair with water
5. Apple Cider Vinegar With Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can soothe your scalp and reduce itchiness. According to a study, aloe vera possesses antifungal and antibacterial properties, which may help combat dandruff. Additionally, aloe contains glycoproteins which are considered anti-inflammatory compounds, which can prevent inflammation and alleviate itchy sensation.
You will need:
- 6 teaspoons of aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- A cup of water
- Mix aloe vera gel and apple cider vinegar to get a smooth mixture
- Apply the mixture to the scalp
- After a few minutes, wash again with water
We have gone through some basic information of dandruff, apple cider vinegar, and some of the best tips for you to stamp out dandruff with apple cider vinegar. These tips are very simple to prepare and implement with some ingredients in your kitchen. If you know other ways to use apple cider vinegar for dandruff, don’t forget to tell us your experience in the comment section below.
All content provided are for informational & educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.