Seborrheic dermatitis is a kind of skin condition that was found all over the world. It has a negative effect on both sexes with the various levels of scaling, redness, and itching. This disease often begins after adolescence and can result in individual discomfort. In addition, it may be difficult to recognize because it has the similar symptoms like psoriasis. Until now, the causes of seborrheic dermatitis are still not apparent. People with dermatitis have usually said that it is triggered by elements such as stress, shortage of sleep, exposure to dry conditions, the disruption of immune and a fungus named Malassezia . Although this is an incurable disease, most people live a perfectly normal life by managing and controlling it well and today Beauty Talk will provide to you the best natural home remedies for seborrheic dermatitis on scalp, in ears, and on face that help you feel more comfortable about your appearance and your health as well.
11 Best Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis On Scalp, Face, & In Ears
I. What Is Seborrheic Dermatitis?
Seborrheic Dermatitis is considered as a kind of the chronic and recurrent eczema that primarily affects the regions having much the sebaceous glands in the body, for example, scalp, ears or face. Dandruff is also a form of seborrheic dermatitis in spite of not being inflamed. Dandruff appears as white scaly patches on the scalp and causes itching. Besides, seborrheic dermatitis has the symptom of skin oiliness and face with redness and dryness.
II. What Are The Symptoms And Signs Of Seborrheic Dermatitis?
Sometimes people make a mistake in distinguishing between seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. Nevertheless, it still has visible symptoms including both skin oiliness and skin dryness, along with red and grease covered with yellow and white scales. In fact, skin oiliness is one of the reasons causing acne. Below are the most common symptoms and signs of seborrheic dermatitis :
- Having much dandruff on your scalp and eyebrows
- The greasy skin on the face, especially on two sides of the nose, ears and some other areas of the body
- Red skin
These expressions can become more serious if you are depressed, the lake of sleep or exposure to the cold and dry environment.
III. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis On Scalp
1. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
Tea tree oil is extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia tree – the plan was seen mainly in Australia and widely used about the last 100 years. It includes antifungal and antibacterial elements that help treat wounds and inflammation, especially acne and dandruff. There are many cosmetic and household products using this ingredient, consisting of cleansers, massage oil, skin cream, and shampoo. In that, shampoo with 5 percent of tea tree oil can effectively eliminate seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp . Using tea tree oil shampoo is very simple. You can buy this kind of shampoo in stores or 100 percent of tea tree oil and then add some drops into your favorite shampoo before using.
BeautyTalk Partner Solutions
Ask Any Questions and Get Answers within Minutes, 24/7!
The Medical Experts are available whenever you need them. You can even approve payment only when you’re completely satisfied.
- Firstly, take a moderate amount of shampoo or the mixture, then massage your scalp with it
- Secondly, leave it about 5 minutes
- Finally, wash off with clean water
2. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Raw Honey
Raw honey is one of the most effective ways to remove seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff . It has many differences compared to regular honey that has to undergo many steps such as pasteurization, filtration, and ultrafiltration. Although these processes make honey more transparent and have a longer life, they take some essential nutrients like antioxidants and enzymes. In raw honey, it has the full of antioxidants and antibacterial and antifungal substances. Therefore, it can be used to heal wounds, cure sore throats and prevent inflammation, etc.
- Make a mixture of 90 percent of raw honey and 10 percent of water
- Massage the mixture into your scalp and leave it for 2 hours
- Do this one time weekly
3. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is considered as a panacea for making the appearance more attractive because of the variety of uses. Now, you can know another benefit of it – the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis. Coconut oil contains fatty acids, including antimicrobial, antiviral, and especially antifungal elements. It has been shown to help prevent the irritation of the skin in the environment that is too much oily or dry 
- Warm a moderate amount of coconut oil
- Massage your scalp with this oil about 5 minutes
- Leave it for more 10 minutes or overnight
- Rinse your scalp and hair with shampoo
Learn more: How to use coconut oil for eczema treatment
4. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a useful solution for skin problems, especially seborrheic dermatitis. Like remedies mentioned above, it also contains properties helping prevent skin diseases, for instance, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, and dandruff. Besides, apple cider vinegar is a natural product with malic acid and antiseptic properties that play an important part in removing yeast, viruses and preventing the growth of bacteria and fungus.
- Make a mixture of 50 percent of apple cider vinegar and 50 percent of water
- Washing your scalp and hair with shampoo
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and massage gently
- Leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing with water
Note: Test a small amount into your skin first if your skin is sensitive
5. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Baking Soda
As many people know, baking soda is a wonderful product for whitening teeth to making beauty. Apart from these, it is an effective way to treat seborrheic dermatitis by making the alkaline environment that the fungus cannot live in it. Also, baking soda can fight all types of fungus, so it has many uses.
- Take half of a teaspoon of baking soda into a half of a cup of water
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and keep it for 10 minutes
- Clean your scalp and hair with cool water
IV. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis In Ears
1. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Raw Honey & Apple Cider Vinegar
You can also use raw honey and apple cider vinegar to treat seborrheic dermatitis in ears. However, the ways to use them in the ears are a little bit different from on the scalp.
Direction with raw honey:
- Make an equal mixture of raw honey and water
- Apply it to ears and leave it for 3 hours
- Rinse it off with clean water
Direction with apple cider vinegar:
- Mix apple cider vinegar with water following a 1 to 1 ratio
- Use a clean cotton cloth-pad to clean your ears with this substance
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off
Note: With apple cider vinegar, you should test a small amount on your skin first to prevent negative reacts.
2. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a terrific treatment to apply for ears. Nevertheless, to get the better result, you should combine it with carrier oils to make it easier to apply to ears. Carrier oils can be coconut, olive, grapeseed, and jojoba.
- Take 3 to 5 drops of tea tree oil
- Apply them to your ears
- Leaving tea tree oil on to dry or rinsing the oily residue is up to you
V. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis On Face
1. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Wash Your Face Twice Daily
The simplest way to reduce seborrheic dermatitis on the face is washing your face twice daily. That helps wipe off excess oil and dead skin cells that stick on the face. Below are some notes you need to know:
- Use cleanser that does not irritate your skin
- Do not use goods containing alcohol because it will make the situation worse
- Use the moisturizer that has not oil to preventing from clogging your pores
2. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Apply Warm Compresses
It is a special technique applied for your eyelids to remove the scales because you will not want to hurt your sin when the scales are not ready to come off.
- Take a washcloth and then dip it into hot water
- Apply it on the eyelids until the scaly parches soften and can be wiped away
3. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Use OTC Medications
These medications will help you reduce redness and prevent infection. The creams you can use are cortisone and ketoconazole. Both are the effective solutions to lesion inflammation and itching. One crucial thing is that before you apply it, read the instructions carefully on the packaging. You need to consult a doctor if you use these creams more than two weeks or you are pregnant or treat a child.
4. Home Remedies For Seborrheic Dermatitis – Reduce Stress
Stress can lead to the changes in hormones that make you more vulnerable to skin diseases. Although managing stress is difficult because we always have to cope with works daily, you can apply simple techniques such as breathing deeply, first things first, etc. Besides, you can practice meditation, yoga, do things you like, you will want to enjoy your life more.
VI. When To See A Doctor?
You need to see a doctor if:
- You feel too embarrassed and anxious
- You suspect you are infected or you are not sure about your skin condition
- You have tried home remedies without good results
Above are the basic information and the best natural home remedies for seborrheic dermatitis on face, scalp, and in ears that you can do at home. We hope that you can control your skin condition and be in harmony with it. If you want to know more home remedies for problems about health, please visit our Health page and do not forget to leave your comments to show us your thoughts.