What Is Oily Skin?
Oily skin is a common skin problem that affects many people around the world. The excess oil accumulated on the outer layer of the skin often results in blind pimples, blackheads, whiteheads as well as other skin irritations. You can use commercial treatments to deal with the oily skin but these provide temporary results and may cause a few side effects. Thankfully, there are a few tips and remedies that can prevent and treat the oily skin. Before learning about these remedies, let Beauty Talk list out some of the main causes of oily skin.
What Causes Oily Skin?
Here are several reasons for this problem:
- Overuse Of Skin Care Products: To achieve the fairer, smoother and clear skin, almost all of us use many skin care products but overuse of these products will increase the production of oil in the skin.
- Genetics: Basically, genetics plays a vital role in determining the skin type you have. If you inherit the problem of oily skin from your mother or father, you will be more prone to clogged pores and acne because you have larger sebaceous glands producing excess oils.
- Seasonal Changes: Humid and hot weather conditions can raise the oil production level. Besides, cold and dry weather conditions can produce excess oil.
- Hormonal Changes: Generally, fluctuation of hormones during pregnancy, puberty, and pre-menopause  can increase excess oil production
- Medications: Using certain medications such as hormone replacement medications and hormonal birth control pills can cause some side effects including oily skin.
- Stress: Stress can also affect the skin including oily skin.
Top 38 Ways On How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin Fast & Naturally
Forget the toxic chemicals now and try out these home remedies and natural skin care tips for oily skin treatment. Continue reading this useful article in the line of Skin Care on our site to learn more the efficient ways on how to get rid of oily skin naturally.
I. Diet Plan
1. Dietary Changes
Your diet can control the excess sebum production of the skin. Having healthy eating habits can help you maintain a healthy skin. You should add fresh vegetables, fruits, and leafy green to your daily diet. You can also eliminate toxins from your body by including fresh and fibrous foods in your diet. You should include fruits high in vitamin C in your diet to maintain the glowing and healthy skin. Vitamin C rich fruits include oranges, lime, sweet lime, lemon, and grapefruit. Foods that are high in omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin A, B, D & E such as soybeans, sea foods, avocados, and others are also helpful in inhibiting oily skin. Foods such as pumpkin and pineapple are effective at dissolving excess oil and eliminating the dead skin cells and dirt from the skin surface thanks to their enzymes. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks, smoking, dairy products, refined flours, and canned or processed foods because they promote oil production. Lowering the intake of salt also helps to manage the oily skin effectively. Drinking plenty of water every day also helps to hydrate the skin and prevents different skin ailments as well.
II. Simple Tips For Oily Skin
According to a 2006 study, the facial cleanser is generally gentle and doesn’t damage the skin barrier or lead to sebum overcompensation; plus, the cleanser is beneficial for deep-pore cleansing, which may help to manage a few acne-associated symptoms . Cleansing is necessary for a healthy and strong skin. But remember not to cleanse too much because this will make the layer of protection loose. Avoid cleansers that have oils, soaps, and waxes. You should use cleansers containing salicylic acid or glycolic acid because they may be beneficial for gently exfoliating and cleaning oily skin. So, it’s advised to choose cleansers that are suitable for your skin condition.
2. Exfoliation For Oily Skin
Exfoliating with a gentle scrub aids in removing excess oils, dead skin cells, and grime and makes the skin smoother. You can buy a good quality scrub for oily skin from your many local stores. You can also make a homemade scrub for oily skin. For this purpose, grind 2 tsp. of oats coarsely at first and later moisten it with some fresh aloe gel or witch hazel to form a paste. With the aid of your fingertips, gently massage this paste into your skin and finally, clean the area with lukewarm water.
3. Wash The Face Properly
You can remove excess oil & combat acne formation by washing the face with lukewarm water thrice per day. Try splashing cold water the face because this helps to tighten the pores and remain the pH balance of the skin as well. However, over washing your face can dry out the skin, giving you stretchy skin and premature wrinkles.
4. Toning For Oily Skin
Toning can help to improve the blood circulation to the skin surface. It also helps to add a glow to your skin. Apart from that, it refreshes the skin and closes the pores as well. You should use a toner that is suitable for oily skin and doesn’t contain alcohol since alcohol based toner dries out the skin. You can also use some homemade toners such as green tea and apple cider vinegar to give a healthy touch to the skin.
A gentle cleanse contains a drying effect on your skin. So you should use a moisturizer after cleansing to decrease these drying effects. Like cleansers, lots of moisturizers contain AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids), such as lactic and glycolic acids. AHAs or alpha hydroxy acids can aid in improving skin tone by removing excess oil and dead skin cells. The moisturizers have the capacity to eliminate the glue-like substance holding the dead skin cells to the skin. Your skin looks visibly healthy and glowing when the dead cells are removed.
6. Use Sunscreen
The UVA & UVB rays of the sun can damage all types of skin. You can easily prevent the appearance of age spots and wrinkles with the help of sunscreen. The sunscreen should be light and gentle and it shouldn’t clog pores. If you have acne-prone and sensitive skin, choose one with no or little fragrance. You should use an SPF15-30 sunscreen if you go for swimming or hit the beach. After washing your face or taking a bath, apply the sunscreen again.
III. Home Remedies
1. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Oatmeal & Aloe Vera Scrub
Aloe vera has been used since ancient times for its medicinal agents. Particularly, its salicylic acid contains powerful anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antibacterial features, which can manage oily skin and problems with pimples and acne as well. Besides, its anti-inflammatory abilities help to treat suntan and skin infections altogether. Here’s how to get rid of oily skin with this scrub at home:
- Dry oats – 1 handful
- Some aloe vera gel
- Take the dry oats at first and mix it thoroughly with the aloe vera gel.
- Later apply on your face and use your fingers to massage gently for 3 to 5 minutes in clockwise & anti-clockwise direction.
- Wait for 15 minutes and thereafter, rinse off with water.
- This treatment needs to be followed once weekly to get noticeable results.
You can read more about other aloe vera benefits for hair, skin.
2. Honey & Banana Face Pack For Oily Skin
Honey comes with beneficial agents, which absorb excess moisture from your skin and treat any skin infection too. It is a humectant, which will attract and retain moisture within the skin, according to the Skin Care resources Center. This is beneficial for people having dry skin and oily skin because it’ll help retain the natural moisture of the skin without producing oil. Besides, banana contains a high water content, which helps to hydrate the skin and prevent from drying and peeling. Furthermore, it functions as a natural moisturizer, removes wrinkles & dead skin, and offers a glowing skin. Lemon juice present in this remedy is a natural cleanser, which helps to remove oil from the skin. It also lightens skin tan and removes blackheads as well. Here is how to get rid of oily skin with this face pack:
- Banana – 1
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- The first step is blending the banana with the honey & lemon juice.
- The next step is applying on your face and letting it dry for the duration of 20 minutes.
- Thereafter, use a hot towel to remove the pack and finally, rinse well by using water.
- It is suggested to repeat this remedy two to three times weekly for effective results.
See more other benefits of honey with lemon on health, hair, and skin.
3. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin Using Mango Mask
According to a study, mango possesses anti-oxidant, antidiabetic, anti-viral, hypotensive, cardiotonic, and anti-inflammatory properties . Mangoes consist of natural astringent and cleansing agents that help to soothe and cool the oily skin during summer. Additionally, it removes excess oil, impurities, and dirt from the skin and unclogs the skin pores as well. The method is:
- Whole ripe mango – 1
- Firstly, get a whole ripe mango and mash it into a smooth pulp.
- Then, softly and evenly massage it on your skin.
- Allow the mask sit on your skin for 10 minutes and finally, rinse with water.
- This mango mask can be applied once weekly for optimum results.
4. Banana, Oats & Milk Face Scrub
Milk acts as a great natural moisturizer, which nourishes the skin gently. Bananas, on the other hand, is full of nutrients such as potassium and vitamin A, B, and E, which moisturize and hydrate the skin cells well without making them greasy and oily. This natural scrub works well to exfoliate the skin and fight against dead cells, whiteheads, and blackheads. Don’t use the scrub on acne and pimple affected areas because it can aggravate the irritation. How to get rid of oily skin with this face scrub at home? Follow the steps below:
- Ripe banana – 1
- Milk – 1 tablespoon
- Oats – 2 tablespoons
- The first step is mashing the ripe banana and adding the oats and milk to it.
- The following step is mixing well and applying on your clean face.
- After that, massage this face scrub for 5-6 minutes using a soft circular motion.
- Keep the application on for another twenty minutes and finally, remove the scrub with water.
- This face scrub can be applied 2-3 times weekly for best results.
5. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Egg Yolk Face Pack
Egg yolk can tighten the skin and eliminate excessive oil from your skin as well. It also maintains the skin’s health thanks to its high-quality protein, minerals, and vitamins. Know here how to get rid of oily skin with this face pack:
- Egg – 1
- 1 cotton ball
- Firstly, break an egg and later separate its yolk.
- Mix the egg yolk with a whisk. Start applying this face pack to the excessive oily parts of the face.
- After the duration of 10-12 minutes, rinse well with water
- This face pack should be applied once or twice weekly for amazing results.
Besides, egg yolk is also a great method for clogged pores. You can view more at how to get rid of clogged pores on face naturally.
6. Honey & Apple Face Pack For Oily Skin
This natural face pack has the ability to treat oily skin by removing excess oil from your skin. Being rich in vitamins A, B and C, apples act as natural toners, moisturizer, and cleansers for skin and help to prevent greasiness of the skin altogether. Furthermore, apples supply the necessary nutrients to the skin, thus maintaining naturally glowing and healthy skin. Being natural humectants, honey helps to add a smooth and soft texture to the skin. Here is the recipe that explains you on how to get rid of oily skin with this honey & apple face pack:
- A seeded apple
- 3 tbsp. of honey
- Crush a seeded apple at first and later mix the honey with it.
- Thereafter, apply this pack on the clean face and leave for 20 minutes before rinsing off with water.
- This pack can be applied 2 to 3 times weekly for the oil-free skin.
7. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin Using Peppermint Toner
Peppermint comes with an astringent property, which makes it a great toner for oily skin. Besides, it is highly effective for treating pimples, acne, irritation and sunburn. Along with that, peppermint helps to minimize open pores, thus curbing sebum secretion and offering an even skin tone. Here is how to get rid of oily skin with this toner:
- Peppermint leaves – 1 handful
- Boiling water
- 1 cotton ball
- 1 cup
- The initial step is putting the peppermint leaves in 1 cup and pouring the boiling water over it.
- Then, wait for thirty minutes and strain the liquid afterward.
- Now clean the face and start applying this resultant toner to the face with the aid of the cotton ball.
- This toner should be applied twice to thrice daily for fast results.
8. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Egg White Moisturizer
Basically, oily skin needs to use the moisturizer for nourishment. Generally speaking, eggs are useful for the skin since they are packed with proteins. Eggs are also known to improve the elasticity of the skin. The protein present in egg whites also helps to tighten skin, thus reducing wrinkles, according to Jerome Z. Litt, M.D, assistant clinical professor of dermatology at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine.
- Egg – 1
- Almond oil – 4 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Take an egg at first & later separate the egg white.
- Then, add the lemon juice and almond oil to the egg white & mix them
- After this, apply on your face and let the application dry completely.
- Finally, clean face with the help of warm water.
- Repeat this remedy once to twice weekly to keep skin hydrated and smooth.
Another common use of egg white is for treating cystic acne.
9. Fuller’s Earth Remedy
Fuller’s earth does not remove the natural oil and moisture from the skin. It also functions as a natural cleanser & skin purifier. Its magnesium chloride can aid in fighting acne and blemishes. In addition, fuller’s Earth can decrease suntan and pigmentation.
- Egg – 1
- Yogurt – 1 spoon
- Fuller’s earth – 1 spoon
- Beat an egg at first and later mix the beaten egg, yogurt and fuller’s earth together.
- Afterward, apply on your face and wash it off after the duration of 20 minutes.
- This pack can be applied 1-2 times per week.
Additionally, fuller’s earth makes a great solution for blemishes.
10. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Curd & Besan Face Pack
Being enriched with vitamins and proteins, besan helps to remove the extra greasiness from the oily skin. Being rich in vitamin A & vitamin C, curb helps to moisturize the skin properly, thus keeping it supple and soft. In fact, this is another effective remedy on how to get rid of oily skin.
- Besan – 2 teaspoons
- Curd – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 2 drops
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
- Firstly, use a spoon to mix well the besan and curb in 1 clean bowl to prepare a thick paste. You add the turmeric powder and lemon juice to this thick paste.
- Make all the things together to get a mixture and apply evenly on the cleansed face. Let it dry.
- Apply some warm water on this dried mixture to make it loose.
- Gently rub to remove it from the area. Finally, remove the remaining face pack by splashing cold water.
11. Honey & Lemon Juice For Oily Skin
Honey helps to maintain the moisture of the skin and contains antibacterial agents. Besides, it assists in reducing the pimples and offers a natural glow to the skin as well. Lemon juice neutralizes and controls the oil production of oily skin thanks to its citric acid. The acid also works effectively to kill the bacteria causing acne and pimples. The recipe is:
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 spoonful
- Honey – 1 spoonful
- 1 cotton ball
- Squeeze the prepared lemon juice at first and take the honey in 1 clean bowl. Mix these things well to have a thick liquid paste.
- Start applying it all over your face with the cotton ball after cleansing it properly.
- Leave the mixture on your face for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- After that, remove it with cold water.
Read more about other lemon benefits for your skin and hair.
12. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin Using Apples
Apples function as an excellent exfoliating agent and have mild antiseptic, soothing, and astringent properties, making them a great way on how to get rid of oily skin. Apple contains the malic acid that helps to absorb excess oil from the surface of the skin and exfoliate dead skin cells as well.
- Apple – 1/2
- Yogurt – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- The first step is grating ½ of an apple and placing the shreds on the skin. Keep it on your skin for fifteen minutes and after that, wash it off by using tepid water.
- The following step is mixing 1 teaspoon each of plain yogurt, grated apples, and lime juice to make a smooth paste.
- Start applying the paste all over the face and wait for the duration of 15 minutes before rinsing the face with cool water.
13. Tomatoes For Oily Skin Treatment
Tomatoes contain cooling, astringent and clarifying properties, which work well to treat oily skin. They are also beneficial for acne-prone skin owing to their high vitamin C content. Furthermore, tomatoes come with natural oil-absorbing acids, which help to remove excess oil. Know here how to get rid of oily skin with tomatoes:
- Tomato – 1
- Cold water
- Get a tomato and cut it in half. Then, rub it on the skin.
- Let the juice soak into the skin for at least fifteen minutes.
- Afterward, rinse the skin with cold water and pat it dry.
- Lastly, apply a gentle oil-free moisturizer.
Additionally, tomatoes are also used in removing acne scars. For further information, you can learn more at How To Remove Acne Scars From Face Naturally
14. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Cucumbers
Cucumbers consist of astringent, cooling, and soothing features, which are highly effective for oily skin. Besides, due to their vitamins A and E, potassium, and magnesium, cucumber are also great for the skin health. Here is how to get rid of oily skin with cucumbers:
- Fresh organic cucumber – 1
- Warm water
- Take a fresh organic cucumber at first and cut it into thick slices.
- Then, rub the slices thoroughly on the face. Keep it on overnight & rinse with warm water the next morning.
- Repeat this method daily before hitting the bed.
- Cucumber juice – ½ teaspoon
- Lime juice – ½ teaspoon
- Warm water
- Mix the lime and cucumber juices together.
- Then, apply this mixture to the skin and let the application dry.
- After that, use warm water to clean the area. Do this daily.
Plus, cucumber is also used in treating melasma. You can find more about at How To Get Rid Of Melasma Fast At Home
15. Milk For Oily Skin Treatment
Generally, milk acts like a great cleanser for oily skin and makes it soft & supple. Besides, milk has the ability to exfoliate the skin and maintain the natural pH balance of the skin, as it possesses alpha hydroxy acids. So, how to get rid of oily skin naturally with the milk remedy? The best answer is given below:
- Lavender or sandalwood oil – 2 to 3 drops
- Milk – 2 tablespoons
- 1 cotton ball
- At first, mix the prepared lavender or sandalwood oil with the milk.
- Use the cotton ball to apply this mixture on the face.
- Massage the skin gently for a few minutes and go to sleep. Wash your face using cold water in the morning.
- This remedy can be followed every day for quick results.
16. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Apple Cider Vinegar
Basically, ACV has antibacterial characteristics, which are good for acne caused due to a combination of bacteria and oily skin. Along with that, apple cider vinegar also helps to tone & moisturize oily skin since it owns AHA (alpha hydroxy acids). Here are two easy processes to use ACV for oily skin:
- Apple cider vinegar – ¼ cup
- Distilled water – ¾ cup
- 1 cotton ball
- Dilute the ACV with the distilled water to make a homemade toner.
- Then, with the help of the cotton ball, apply this prepared toner on the skin.
- After that, use cool water to remove the toner after 10 minutes.
- This toner can be applied few times weekly to see positive results.
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 glass
- Mix the prepared ACV in the water.
- Thereafter, consume this mixture every night before your bedtime. This will help to balance hormones, thus controlling the excess oil production in the skin.
If you want to learn other benefits of apple cider vinegar, please read Beauty Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin & Hair
17. Aloe Vera Remedy
According to a study published in the journal of Skin Research & Technology, aloe vera was effective for keeping skin hydration after only one single application. Aloe vera can help treat acne caused by oily skin, according to Mayo Clinic. Aloe vera is an ideal remedy for curing acne-prone oily skin due to its antimicrobial abilities. It can also help to absorb excess oil from the surface of the skin. Know here how to get rid of oily skin with the aloe vera remedy:
- Aloe vera leaf – 1
- Clean water
- Get 1 aloe vera leaf and cut it in half to extract the fresh gel.
- Begin applying the gel on your face properly. Let it dry and use clean water to wash your face.
- This gel should be applied two or three times per day.
- Aloe vera leaf – 1
- Some honey
- Cold water
- The first step is boiling an aloe vera leaf in the water for several minutes.
- The next step is grinding the leaf with some honey to achieve a paste.
- Apply the paste thoroughly over the oily skin. You need to leave the gel on the skin for the duration of 20 minutes before cleaning with cold water.
- It’s suggested to follow this once weekly.
18. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin Using Orange
Orange has the capacity to prevent the excess oil secretion thanks to the presence of astringent properties in it. Besides, it can prevent wrinkles and make the skin soft & fresh because it’s loaded with a high content of vitamin C. The method is:
- Orange peels
- Leave some orange peels to dry under the sun. Then, blend the peels into a fine powder.
- Thereafter, combine the orange peel powder with enough amounts of rose water to get a paste.
- Now apply the resultant paste on your skin and wait for 15 minutes.
- Finally, use water to rinse the paste off and pat dry.
19. Strawberry For Oily Skin
This fruit is helpful for removing excess oil, dead skin cells and brightening up the skin tone. This is because it is high in vitamin C. Apart from that, this fruit can reduce the aging process and prevent wrinkles altogether. Here is how to get rid of oily skin naturally with this fruit:
- Few strawberries
- Lemon juice- few drops
- The first step is mashing few strawberries into a paste. The next step is adding the lemon juice into the paste and mixing well.
- Begin applying it on the face and scrub slightly for few minutes.
- Leave the paste on until it completely dries. Rinse off by using water and pat dry.
You can view more at Beauty Benefits Of Strawberries to learn more about other strawberry benefits.
20. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Honey
Honey comes with the natural antiseptic property that is highly beneficial for removing acne-prone oily skin. Besides, its moisturizing properties can aid in nourishing your skin and keeping it moisturized. The method is:
- Take some honey and apply over the face.
- Keep it on for about 13-15 minutes before washing your face.
- Do this process 2 times daily.
- Ground almond
- Mix a tiny amount of honey and ground almonds.
- Massage this paste gently onto the oily skin to flush out dead skin cells and oil.
- Use a warm cloth to wipe your face.
- It is advised to follow this once weekly.
21. Peppermint, Yarrow & Sage Remedy
Generally, the sage, yarrow, and peppermint are comprised of strong astringent properties so that they are beneficial for people having oily skin tone. The remedy is:
- Peppermint -1 tablespoon
- Sage – 1 tablespoon
- Yarrow – 1 tablespoon
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- 1 cotton ball
- First of all, you add the peppermint, yarrow, and sage into the boiling water.
- Next, cover and let the mixture steep for half an hour. After that, strain and leave it to cool down.
- Now apply this resultant mixture over the skin with a cotton ball.
- Leave your application to dry completely and finally, rinse off with the aid of water.
22. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Baking Soda
Baking soda is also an ideal ingredient in some hair care products. It can fight against dead skin cells, balance the pH levels and trigger oil production as well. You can use baking soda as a face cleanser to eliminate dead skin cells, dirt or oil from the skin. Here’s how to get rid of oily skin at home with baking soda:
- Baking soda – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1 tablespoon
- Mix together the baking soda and water to gain a paste.
- Massage this paste into your face. Allow it to dry for five minutes and afterward, rinse using warm water.
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon juice – ½ teaspoon
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Simply, mix together the three ingredients well.
- Start rubbing the mixture onto the face using clear fingertips.
- After few minutes, rinse off with water.
See more other benefits of baking soda for hair, skin and body.
23. Yogurt Remedy For Oily Skin
Yogurt possesses the lactic acid that can remove the excess oil and impurities from your skin. So, how to get rid of oily skin with the yogurt remedy? Follow the guides below:
- Unsweetened yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- Cool water
- For this treatment, you get 1 tbsp of unsweetened yogurt and apply on your face.
- You massage gently for few minutes.
- You keep the application on for around 13-15 minutes and after that, rinse off with the help of cool water.
24. How To Get Rid Of Oily Skin With Salt
The gritty nature of sea salt or Epsom salt can remove the impurities & dead skin cells from the skin. Here’s how to get rid of oily skin at home with the remedy:
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Lavender buds – 1 tablespoon
- The initial step is combining the salt, lavender buds and lemon juice together.
- The following step is massaging this mixture for few minutes on the skin.
- Leave the mixture on for a couple of minutes and remove with water afterward.
- Epsom salt – 2 tablespoons
- Essential oil such as peppermint, lavender oil – few drops
- Combine together Epsom salt and any essential oil of your option.
- Massage the oil mixture gently on your skin for several minutes.
- After that, rinse off with water & pat dry.
25. Honey, Lemon & Sugar Remedy
Sugar has the gritty nature, which fades the dead skin cells & other impurities from the skin. Lemon can dry out the excess oil & helps to rejuvenate the skin while honey moisturizes and nourishes your skin without making it greasy and oily.
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Firstly, combine together the three ingredients well.
- Then, start applying on your skin. Massage lightly for several minutes and wait for another few minutes
- Afterward, use water to rinse it off and pat dry.
- Homemade Face Pack For Dry Skin
- How To Get Rid Of Brown Spots On The Skin Naturally
- Homemade Beauty Anti-Aging Tips For Women In Their 40s
- How To Get Rid Of Sebaceous Cysts Naturally
- How To Get Rid Of Hyperpigmentation Naturally
Now you don’t need to be worried about the oily skin problem with these useful tips and natural remedies. Try these remedies right now and you will be satisfied with the results. If you know other remedies on how to get rid of oily skin fast & naturally, then share your beauty tips & remedies with us.